• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Why Root D2?

what is the difference between ROM and root? sounds like ROM would be better.

Small, below is some information on rooting. Read up on it. You need to understand what it is before you consider doing it.
There is a LOT more information on this if you just search, this is just something i found quickly.
Dont worry about what a rom is right now. It's rooting you want to understand. Once you understand that, then you'll know what a rom is;)

1) What is root, and why would I want it?
Root is basically the linux equivalent of the Administrator account in Windows. By default, your phone does not give you access to the root account. This limits you on what you can do to your phone to basically what Verizon allows you to do. By rooting your phone, you are given full access to the file system, to make whatever changes you want, and do whatever you want with the hardware. The primary thing people with root will do is installing custom ROM's. Typically a custom ROM will have more features and less bloat, and run faster than an official Verizon release. This varies from ROM to ROM though. You can customize the entire GUI, you can do things such as wireless tethering, run apps that weren't meant for our phone (such as Nexus One stuff), and plenty of other things.

http://androidforums.com/eris-all-things-root/45242-rooting-q.html

Upvote 0
I think the short answer is that if you have to ask, then you probably should not.

Everybody has to start somewhere.

There are resources available to take you from being a casual cell phone user to rooting your phone in very little time. Mr. Google is your friend, as well as the rooting resources available right here at this site. :)

I haven't rooted yet mainly because I haven't had enough spare time to sit and down and focus, but I plan to eventually.

Upvote 0
I have the Droud X. I also had a Palm Pre Plus as a business phone for the free wifi tethering. I actually sold my D1 and bought that piece of crap. Well, yesterday, I bight a D2 as my business phone, and the Palm Pre Plus goes to my niece. Mailing it out today. I bought the D2 from Craigslist, and the guy rooted it for me. Yay! Free wifi tethering on a device I actually like. It could never replace my stock 2.2 DX, but the D2 rocks! Especially with the root.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones