• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Why root with pdanet?

MolBasser

Jan 20, 2011
Chico, CA
So, one of the reasons I figured that I would root is that my "unlimited" data plan is unlimited. My computer plugs into my phone and net!

Well, turns out I am using PDAnet right now. No root. Excellent net performance.

I may root if Gingerbread isn't released to my phone in the next few months, but other than that, no bother.

MolBasser

Ok? I am happy for you? Forgive me for asking , but why post this? If you think tethering is the only reason to root, I urge you to do research. If you have done the research and still do not want root, fine. But that brings me back to my original question--why post?

Either way, congrats on being happy with your phone. It is always nice to find out a way to do things that is simple and easy.

-Nkk

Upvote 0
Plenty of reasons other than tethering to root. Custom boot animations, themes, debloating, etc.

Custom boot animations...now there's a good reason to void a warranty! Ok, just messing with you.

I agree with everybody else, while i'm glad the OP is happy with his phone and absolutely agree that alot of people don't need to root their phone. But I just don't get the point of this thread...

Upvote 0
Maybe you folks are misunderstanding/he didn't explain himself well? The way I am reading it, he seems to think the only way to use PDAnet was via root and has found out otherwise.

Or, I'm a complete goof and don't know shit (the most likely scenario, no?).

Sort of this. Imma little drunk, so I was just happy to find out that I could net up my computer with my phone without rooting it.

It is sort of a complicated story as to why I am excited. However, I do understand the benefit of killing the bloatware and such, and will prolly end up rooting my phone.

The thing that blew me away was a free app in the market to tether....

Sort of coincided with me dropping of the net otherwise at home....

:cheers:

MolBasser

Upvote 0
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think pdanet lets you access secure sites without the paid version. But there is still other free ways to tether without root.

Rooting is not for tethering.

I believe it lets you access http:// address for free, but not https: (so it won't be an issue for me for example, but certainly would be a problem for others).

Upvote 0
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think pdanet lets you access secure sites without the paid version. But there is still other free ways to tether without root.

Rooting is not for tethering.

I agree. Either he doesn't need to access secure site or he hasn't gotten to that point yet because

Sort of this. Imma little drunk, so I was just happy to find out that I could net up my computer with my phone without rooting it.

The only other thing, I hate to even mention it but it is a realty, he is using a hacked version.

Upvote 0
Plenty of reasons other than tethering to root. Custom boot animations, themes, debloating, etc.

Actually you don't NEED to root to change your boot animation. I changed my boot animation before we had root access. By the end of May last year my boot animation was different. I didn't root until the beginning of August. All you need is SDK and some directions ala adb push bootanimation.zip

Upvote 0
Rob, what do you mean by "hacked version"?

I just do a little browsing on the web, so yeah, it works for me.

I don't get the whole defensiveness. I'm not telling you guys not to root or that rooting is lame. I was just excited to find out that I could tether without rooting (which I thought you had to do).

Meh.

MolBasser

Upvote 0
Rob, what do you mean by "hacked version"?

I just do a little browsing on the web, so yeah, it works for me.

I don't get the whole defensiveness. I'm not telling you guys not to root or that rooting is lame. I was just excited to find out that I could tether without rooting (which I thought you had to do).

Meh.

MolBasser

He's talking about a hacked version of pdanet that lets you use the functionality of the paid version without paying.

Upvote 0
You do know that as far as the providers are concerned, that "unlimited" data access only refers to accessing the data on the phone, not tethering, right? If you start using large amounts of data (i.e. if you try to use tethering as your main means of connecting to the web), it probably increases the chance that your account will be flagged for closer inspection to see whether you are violating TOS.

Upvote 0
You do know that as far as the providers are concerned, that "unlimited" data access only refers to accessing the data on the phone, not tethering, right? If you start using large amounts of data (i.e. if you try to use tethering as your main means of connecting to the web), it probably increases the chance that your account will be flagged for closer inspection to see whether you are violating TOS.

Yeah, they could theoretically assess fines/fees/etc if they figure out your tethering. Not likely (I don't think I've ever heard of them doing that) but possible.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones