1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Why Root

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by sboren, May 16, 2011.

1. sboren

sboren Lurker

New Incredible user here. First Droid. Can someone tell me exactly what Root is? and Why i should do it? Had a guy in mall say he got 30% more battery life by rooting (which I would love). Any friendly answers/opinions welcome....

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

You will want to root your Incredible 2 to get rid of most of this stuff[​IMG]

Beatlesfan and emmur0 like this.
  3. Stealthman

Stealthman Android Enthusiast

The Verizon apps don't bother me, I just ignore them.

I rooted my Droid X and was not really impressed, I am pretty sure I am not going to root my Dinc2 it works great the way it is.

4. trophynuts

trophynuts Extreme Android User

what all did you try when you had a rooted droidX?

if you just merely rooted then it doesn't really do anything unless you take advantage of it. ie....freeze bloat, use TiBu to make better back ups, apply Roms and Themes and Mods. over clock and undervolt.

5. silent-joker

silent-joker Lurker

Its all due to apple jailbreaking. You need to do that to install modifications to the ui etc.

With android you can change alot without root. But rooting gives you more access just like on a pc. If you have admin/owner rights you can do more.

Its more for people who want to "Make it thier's" and advanced users and such. Developers etc...

I always say if you gotta ask why do it, then its prolly not for you.

<- oh sweet my stats reset awsome..

6. TTupa

TTupa Member

I think a lot of people are bothered by the fact that there are so many pre-installed programs that you CAN'T remove without root. Many actually run in the background, and may never be used.

Other than that, installing stripped down and customized ROMs means new user interfaces, a huge range of controls/customizations, and potentially better performance/battery life.

Root access alone only provides a gateway to better things. It's what you do next that makes the difference.

7. Center

Center Member

Only reason to root, for me, is for the wifi tether. On the iPhone, as silent-joker said, this rooting thing really started with the jailbreak on the iphone because apple had such a vice grip over the look and functionality of their phones. But Google opened Android up to much more modification without rooting, that the only reason for me to root is the wifi tether (the preinstalled apps don't bother me so much).

Anyone know if z4root will be updated to work on the Incredible 2? I loved using that on my Droid X, so easy to us.

HTC Droid Incredible 2 Forum

The HTC Droid Incredible 2 release date was April 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.0" inch screen, 8MP camera, 768GB RAM, Snapdragon S2 processor, and 1450mAh battery.

April 2011
Release Date
Reviews