1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Why root?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Hypo Luxa, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Hypo Luxa

Hypo Luxa Android Enthusiast
    None

May 12, 2010
    Earth
    I just got a X2 and I am coming from an Eris. I rooted my Eris basically because I had to if I wanted to use it at all, and even rooted/overclocked it was still a little slow. This thing is like night and day.. it is SOOO much faster than my Eris... So I guess my question is, what advantages do I get by rooting my x2? I mean aside from the obvious stuff like wi-fi tehering which I rarely use anyways.

Advertisement

2. Praetorian

Praetorian Well-Known Member
    None

May 11, 2010
    IT Manager
    Las Vegas, NV
    I also had an Eris and it seemed like I was flashing a new rom two or three times a week to get it to work right. Decided to hold off rooting the X2 for now. The main reason I could see is to freeze the bloat software that comes with the phone but I haven't had any real performance issues so I'm not too worried about it. I might root at some point just to root it.

3. Hypo Luxa

None

May 12, 2010
    Earth
    :D Hey Praetorian! Glad to see at least one familiar name from the the Eris forums! I just retired the little guy this morning! Prolly gonna use it as a MP3 player.. haha

4. Stick1300

Stick1300 Member
    None

May 29, 2011
    I rooted mine for two reasons:
    1. It was ridiculously easy
    2. I froze the pointless bloat that came on the phone

The rooting process took less than 5min and was basically idiot proof, so I figured I might as well.

5. dabatman

dabatman Newbie
    None

May 26, 2011
    Business Analyst
    Jax, FL
    I was actually pondering this exact question. I've spent the past two weeks getting accustomed to my LG Optimus M and I love it as is. Of course I can understand the benefit of being able to remove the unnecessary apps that come pre-installed (myExtras, ect...) but what else? I'll have to search more on this wifi tethering feature that's gained as I'm not really familiar with the benefits of something like that. I have downloaded a few apps to make my phone more personable to me and of course wonder what else is possible but then I look at the laundry list of things that must be done to root a phone and of course read and hear the horror stories of people who's root has gone wrong and I'm back to being my happy self. I'm just loving the fact that I can view and edit MS docs on this thing so again I ask... is it worth it to root???

6. Stick1300

Stick1300 Member
    None

May 29, 2011
    I never rooted my OG Droid. I didn't want to risk it. But, the DX2 can be rooted with a simple click, so it was worth it to me.

7. esmith818

esmith818 Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 15, 2009
    Web to Print Content Developer
    NC
    Although I rooted my D1 early on and went through the whole "flash a new ROM every other day" routine, I am fairly happy with the X2 as is. The main reason I rooted this phone was to freeze (not remove!) the bloatware. My phone has much less problems after stopping the custom VZW/Moto apps from running if I don't need them. Custom ROMS and themes are nice, but if they never come to the X2 I think I'l be happy with the phone just as I have it today.

8. ohwell

ohwell Newbie
    None

Jun 9, 2011
    Chicago
    As with others the only reason I rooted was to freeze the bloatware.

9. Stick1300

Stick1300 Member
    None

May 29, 2011
    It was also worth it to root just so I could use Keyboard Manager.

10. dabatman

dabatman Newbie
    None

May 26, 2011
    Business Analyst
    Jax, FL
    by "freeze" i assume you mean disable? in other words it's still there taking up space correct?

i'll have to google this keyboard manager.

11. Stick1300

Stick1300 Member
    None

May 29, 2011
    Right, they're still on the phone, but they're "frozen" so the phone thinks they've been removed.

Keyboard Manager lets you use different keyboards, based on the phone orientation. I use Swype in portrait and the GB keyboard in landscape. Perfect combo.

12. Hypo Luxa

None

May 12, 2010
    Earth
    I think I am actually quite happy with my x2 as it is. I haven't really run into alot of the issues that people are posting about. Granted, I've only had it three days, but I've been streaming Slacker ALOT and occasionally I might hear a little pop or a little skip once in a great while, so it is far from annoying to me. It did actually reboot once the day I got it, but it was not really a big deal since I've haven't turned it off since and it hasn't reboot again. Hell, after three days it's still just as snappy as the day I bought it.

I'll wait a couple weeks and see how it goes. This really is a kick ass device and I am loving it so far. I think my little old Eris made me more tolerant to little quirks and bugs, especially when the music sounds so great on it.

13. moz90

moz90 Newbie
    None

Aug 10, 2010
    id root for sure i dont know about everyone else but when i froze the apps my phone became much faster and my battery lasted longer and rooting is so easy its worth it for sure

14. Stick1300

Stick1300 Member
    None

May 29, 2011
    Considering I rooted my phone within 5-10min of getting it, I can't compare it to stock.

15. Hypo Luxa

None

May 12, 2010
    Earth
    Given the fact that you can't unroot it at the moment and I'm assuming that if it is rooted, there is a chance that it wont get GB, I think I'll wait for now because I REALLY want GB. I dont want to take that chance however small it might be. It's fast enuff for me as it is. The random reboots are a little annoying at times, but nothing I can't deal with for awhile longer

16. dabatman

dabatman Newbie
    None

May 26, 2011
    Business Analyst
    Jax, FL
    I have yet to experience this "Random Reboot" that has been spoken of. (knock on wood).

Optimus M owner of a month now... unrooted and still loving life.

17. jroc

jroc Android Expert
    None

Apr 10, 2010
    The main thing for me is the root apps or apps that have extra functionality with root. I used to be a ROM fiend with my Droid 1. Got bored with the ROM scene right before the Droid X1 came out.

Even tho I dont use alot of root apps, the ones I do I'm glad I can use em. And I did do a build.prop edit that made my Droid 1 a lil better. Need root to edit the build.prop.

18. Teegunn

Teegunn Android Expert
    None

Apr 7, 2010
    Male
    I could never live without root.... so many useful root apps I use on my DX, I couldn't consider NOT having the use of those apps. BTW, I have purchased a DX2 off of another member of this site and should receive it thursday, so I will be joining the DX2 club officially soon.

19. KatieKaboom

KatieKaboom Lurker
    None

Feb 4, 2012
    ive had my DroidX2 for almost 10 months now, my brother has the Droid X, rooted. After spending the last few months playing around with different launchers, themes and such, ive come to see there are more customization options out there if you have rooted your phone.

i also need to be rid of all the bloatware on this phone because its running a bit slow and i also hate seeing the damn icons. im new to this stuff, so using new launchers and themes is really all i know how to do.

my brothers phone was rooted for him by a friend, so im having trouble getting the answers i need. if someone wouldnt mind answering some of the questions i have, that would be greatly appreciated.

what program should i use to root my device, and what 'root required' apps would i need to have on my phone? once it is rooted, will i still be able to get the new firmware updates, or would i need a rom for that?

sorry if these questions are a bit, dumb. im new to this and would appreciate any help from all you users who have done this and possibly dealt with the same issues im having.

20. coolpoete

coolpoete Android Enthusiast
    None

May 21, 2011
    Alabama
    The questions are not dumb but there are alot of answers in the stickies at the top of the forums.

21. AndroidFanNM

AndroidFanNM Lurker
    None

Feb 24, 2012
    New Mexico
    A HUGE thankyou to everyone on this forum!!! I upgraded to an x2 after a starter LG Vortex, and Wow!!! But after I had it all customized the way I wanted it, it was SLOW! So I followed the advice and directions from the stickies in this forum, rooted my phone, froze the bloatware, installed Titanium, Autokiller, and CacheMate, and doubled my available RAM. I'm still running Gingerbread 2.3.4, but I'm very happy to have rooted. Thanks again for all your help!