• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Why should I change stock to AOSP?

xStagGx

Lurker
Aug 10, 2012
In couple of weeks I'll get my white galaxy s3.immediately I'll root it. Probably I won't overclock it, due to battery drain.and now, what's the point of changing on this device stock rom to cm9/miui/aosp? Let's say, than I don't want jelly bean (cm10)until official release. Are there really strong arguments of changing stock, or it's just a matter of habit? Or maby changing kernel well be enough? ;>

Well considering the s3 is on the second newest available OS and has some of the newest features out there, yeah, aosp and pure vanilla Android might not be worth it. But often times phones come bloated, and certain included features are useless. You may want to flash a less bloated stock ROM with useless features removed and bunch of tweaks added in for.more customizability.

Upvote 0
I had CM9 on my S3 (awesome battery life) and the JB AOKP preview build. I also found that sacrificing the many cool native features just took away from my user experience. I'm back to stock, albeit very debloated.

If discovered that if pure Android was that important to me, I probably should have gotten a Galaxy Nexus and have the real JB now. As it is, I'm happy with a stock S3. And TW is actually pretty good, IMO. Not as bad as the older version or some Sense ROMs I've used in the past.

Upvote 0
i think in reality the only advantage is a stripped down lighter OS that may perform just a little bit better...

in the case of the GS3 however...as much as i find TouchWiz to be a VISUALLY unappealing (trying to be nice lol) skin...the features it offers really outclass anything offered by AOSP (Vanilla, whatever you want to call it)...

the VAST majority of additional features found in ROMs like CM can be added to TW based ROMs with the right skill...

Upvote 0
i think in reality the only advantage is a stripped down lighter OS that may perform just a little bit better...

in the case of the GS3 however...as much as i find TouchWiz to be a VISUALLY unappealing (trying to be nice lol) skin...the features it offers really outclass anything offered by AOSP (Vanilla, whatever you want to call it)...

the VAST majority of additional features found in ROMs like CM can be added to TW based ROMs with the right skill...

Once you stick a vanilla ICS theme on TW, its brilliant.

Upvote 0
@up
So, if I change stock to custom, I'll lose these all unique features introduced to s3 such as direct call, wave control or s-voice?

Okay peeps,one more question:
If I'd stay on vanilla, will I be able to make MIUI look-like status bar by just replacing framework?

No. Custom can still be based on stock. Lets clearly define...

Samsung Touchwiz ROM - Stock
Samsung Touchwiz ROM - Custom
AOSP / AOKP / Cyanogen - Vanilla

If you Change Samsung Touchwiz Rom (Custom or Stock) to AOSP/AOKP/CM ROM, yes you will lose all that.

Upvote 0
No. Custom can still be based on stock. Lets clearly define...

Samsung Touchwiz ROM - Stock
Samsung Touchwiz ROM - Custom
AOSP / AOKP / Cyanogen - Vanilla

If you Change Samsung Touchwiz Rom (Custom or Stock) to AOSP/AOKP/CM ROM, yes you will lose all that.
At the risk of sounding like a total idiot, what do you mean by "vanilla"? When I hear vanilla, I immediately think plain, lacking. Is that what you're referring to?

Also, I've rooted my NC with CM7, so I'm familiar with rooting. Where would you find a custom Sammy Touchwiz ROM?

Upvote 0
huh?...even with all the green and white you think TouchWiz looks like AOSP?..

i take it you have not seen Motorola's version of ICS then?...because that bad boy looks damn near Vanilla...

MotoBlur on ICS is comparable to French Vanilla, all the best things AOSP has to offer with a slight twist for the better.

I had a Moto Bionic that I gave to my fiance and used the ICS leaks on that since they've been out and honestly, I kind of miss MotoBlur. Only thing that TW has over Blur is the toggle switches in the notification menu. 'Smart Actions' is probably the coolest feature on Blur that I wish I could get, along with Quick Contacts Widget

If a ROM for the S3 ever comes with a Blur 'Smart Actions' port, then I'll install that over anything else

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones