• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Why should I keep my gTablet

DragonMan

Lurker
Aug 6, 2010
I bought one for myself, I've rooted it and everything, but I'm starting to ask myself why I should keep this.

While I can play videos from my sdcard, but since there is no netflix, hulu, etc I'm not seeing why I should keep this for now until there are some updates to the android OS or apps out there.

Anyone give me a good reason why I should keep it? I'm just thinking that it's not ready for prime time.

Any apps out there that I'm missing that works great for a tablet?

I think its up to you if you want to return this device. I always thought if a person isn't happy with a purchase and they have a chance to return it, that person should return it. That's how I feel about threads asking if they should keep a device. Not all users are created the same.

As for me, I've come to the decision to keep this device because I know this device will be capable of running the next gen OS because of the next gen Tegra 2 cpu and DDR2 512 RAM. Android tablets that are out today aren't ready for primetime yet because to be honest the time for Android tablets isn't here yet. At least not until Honeycomb hits. The gtablet will be ready when it does. I'm confident that the devs at xda will make it happen. I would even say that viewsonic will also make it happen since they have shown a geniune interest in improving this product based on recent firmware updates.

You can return the gtab if u like and wait for the Honeycomb tablets but Im pretty sure you'll pay way more than $400. The closer we get to the honeycomb release...the better I feel with my purchase of this cost effective tablet.

As for Hulu, I heard there was a Hulu hack at the XDA forums. You might want to search that forum. I don't really have any apps that I love on my gtab but my favorite is Dolphin HD browser and watching flash videos at justin tv. Flash is great on this tablet.

Good luck. I hope u don't write this tablet off yet, I think its a good buy for the price.

Upvote 0
I bought one for myself, I've rooted it and everything, but I'm starting to ask myself why I should keep this.

While I can play videos from my sdcard, but since there is no netflix, hulu, etc I'm not seeing why I should keep this for now until there are some updates to the android OS or apps out there.

Anyone give me a good reason why I should keep it? I'm just thinking that it's not ready for prime time.

Any apps out there that I'm missing that works great for a tablet?

Perhaps you are not ready for a tablet yet. My wife has an iPad and I have a gTablet. Both great products but both limited in what they can do. The iPad by Apple's decision, the GTablet by lack of software. The XDA guys have done an amazing job and made this device very useful. I really enjoy it now (but I love to hack anyway, not everyone is up to it). I bought a nice table stand for it and made it my alarm, weather station, instant work email device (not having to go to my laptop or putting my glasses on to ready my 4" phone) plus many other things. All for nearly 1/2 the money I paid for the iPad.

Upvote 0
I am rather new but in one day:
-Bought the gtab for 380
-applied viewsonic recommended (MORE ERRORS THEN BEGAN WITH!!!)
-installed clockwork mod .8
-installed tnt lite 3.1 .1, .2, .3, .4 (and debating if 4.1 is what I need?)
-installed clemsyn #77 kernel

-tested email, cifsManager (mapping network drive), netflix, hulu, all the ebook readers (and of course a few games to relax inbetween)

Quadrant Standard rating comes in at a consistant 2350 +-20

Over all this is a pretty cool device. 10 inch with nice features and speed at a pretty low cost.

I will admit, the most important items for me was netflix and mapping my media share drive. So far I can do neither (the netflix app listed, phone flix, won't connect). I tried running the browser as standard PC and try to fool netflix (which worked), and netflix tried to push MS Silverlight on me!!

Interestingly, I have an email issue. My incoming pop3 server connects fine, but my outgoing smtp server continually gives me the error "unable to open connection"

I am about to start a new post on my troubles to get feedback, but I would not return the device. Truth is, it's this gtab or it's ipad. All the others are the price of an ipad, or they're junk (not to offend anyone).

Upvote 0
xmr405o, rushmore, and oragecrimson(I think that's him) - Thank you so much for such great posts and support. Good to know you guys are out there!

It is the right thing to do :)

We are on 4.2 now and it has a built-in 60hz display update. Makes reading easier on the eye and vertical viewing angles is better. I thought it was a placebo, but compared to when the 60hz was not applied.

Upvote 0
xmr405o, rushmore, and oragecrimson(I think that's him) - Thank you so much for such great posts and support. Good to know you guys are out there!

I'm just passing out info that I read or have personal experience from. To be honest, the reason why I stumbled on the gtablet was I read rushmores review on the ARchos forums...where he got tagged haha. jk Rush.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones