1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

why should i upgrade from razr to g3??

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by deekum1627, Aug 21, 2012.

1. deekum1627

deekum1627 Android Enthusiast

I have a Droid razr and love it. But I do like the g3, why should I upgrade to it

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Metfanant

Metfanant Android Expert

-bigger screen
    -higher resolution
    -bigger battery
    -unlocked bootloader
    -more RAM
    -faster cpu

shoot...why am i bothering??...from a hardware standpoint its not even a comparison frankly...

the only edge i MIGHT give the RAZR would be its radios...im a big believer that Motorola phones always have the best radios...and overall build quality will probably be better with the Moto...

it comes down to software at that point an Blur vs TouchWiz...

i give Blur the edge here...but since the GS3's bootloader is unlocked...we have a little more freedom there...

3. Szadzik

Szadzik Extreme Android User

There is no reason, yet I upgraded myself.

Why? Because I like new toys.

Am I happy? Yes I am.

4. SUroot

SUroot Extreme Android User

Read the "coolest feature" thread.

5. Funnyusername

Funnyusername Android Enthusiast

Its better from a hardware perspective in every category.

Its going to get JB. has NFC. Nice features. The UI is going to be smoother.

I think the real question you should be asking, should I get this or the Razr HD.

6. Rackness

Rackness Lurker

If you still enjoy your razr i woukd recommend that you wait a couple of months as there are so many rumblings of new devices razr hd, iphone5, note 2 and if course the 64g s3 that are right around the corner. Plus if they wind up not offering anything more than the s3 the s3 will have come down in price just due to all the new phones and you could scoop it up for cheap. I know in the technology world there is always something "right around the corner" but we very close to some highly anticipated releases.

That said if you and patience do not get along you can't go wrong with the s3. It is a great device.

7. rushmore

rushmore Extreme Android User

Bah:

Razr HD = Navigation bar taking up over .3" of display space- boo!

Note 2 = Too biiiigg!

64GB S3 = Too expensive!!! Not to mention assumes VZW will carry it.

The GS3 is the best bet probably for this year, but if you are mainly in weak 3G areas, and use data a lot, you might really want to wait for the Razr HD, since the GS3 needs an update to fix the power draw in low signal areas. I like the GS3 a lot, but it sucks in weak 3G areas.

I despise a nav bar taking up space so much, I choose the GS3, in spite of the noted issue. IMO, fixed nav bars on tablets smaller than 10" is insane (yes, that includes the N7).

Added: I hope Samsung fixes the power draw issue in weak signal areas. That is the only glaring flaw I see with the GS3.

8. Liamo_210

Liamo_210 Android Expert

It looks good also

9. Ron H

Ron H Well-Known Member

If you love your razr, save your money and stay with it.

10. infg37

infg37 Member

i upgraded from the RAZR MAXX and couldnt be happer....just miss the longer battery life but nothing a charger couldnt fix lol

11. deekum1627

Yea I was thinking about the razr hd but idk what the spec will before it does anyone know? Also I thought the bootloader was locked on Verizon for the g3?

12. Metfanant

Metfanant Android Expert

the RAZR HD will have
    - a 720p screen...but it will have on-screen nav buttons so you lose some resolution to them...
    - a larger battery than the GS3 but NOT the same battery as the RAZR Maxx(meaning that an HD Maxx will surely follow)
    -probably a dual core 1.5ghz cpu like the GS3
    - probably a higher resolution camera than the GS3

the VZW GS3 DID have a locked bootloader...until someone at Samsung decided to be naughty and leaked an official SIGNED unencrypted aboot.img

13. rimjay

rimjay Member

anyone have a link to the coolest features thread? id appreciate it buds

14. 1up5dn

1up5dn Well-Known Member

Here ---> Coolest Feature thread

15. deekum1627

Tuff call hmmm im stumped on what to do. Whats the screen size gonna be on the razr hd

16. Metfanant

Metfanant Android Expert

id say with 90% confidence smaller than the S3

17. deekum1627

I love the s3 screen size. Is there gonna be a quad core phone coming out anytime soon

18. rushmore

rushmore Extreme Android User

Based on the leaked demos that Verizon had pulled, the display is physically smaller and more smaller functionally, due to over .3" taken by the navigation bar.

19. Szadzik

Szadzik Extreme Android User

Honestly, I would go for S3. I had owned 3 Motorola Android phones in a row before s# and loved their sturdiness and great radios, but S3 beats them all, including the Razr. I thought the form factor was flimsy, but I bought a non-slippery battery cover and now it is great.

20. Sandroidfan

Sandroidfan Android Expert

Upcoming Razr HD will be very close to GS3 spec wise. But it will have less usable screen size and I doubt its camera will be as good regardless of sensor MP.

21. Hogan773

Hogan773 Android Enthusiast

Beyond the fact that 4 is "better" than 2.....:thinking: why do you need a quad core phone? just wondering how the current state of the art phones are leaving you hanging or wanting more CPU power?

22. deekum1627

To be honest i dont think you need quad core phone. But if they make one I will buy lol. But i think im goona go buy the s3 today. Its tuff tho since i only had motorola android phones

23. Hogan773

Hogan773 Android Enthusiast

Great --- so this will be an upgrade for you then! :)

Samsung Galaxy S3 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S3 release date was May 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.8" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4412 Quad processor, and 2100mAh battery.

May 2012
Release Date
Reviews