1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Why such limited activity on xoom forums?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by veccster, Mar 30, 2011.

1. C8H10N4O2

C8H10N4O2 Lurker
    None

Jun 21, 2010
    The weight is a problem? It amazes me when ~1/4 of a pound is a problem. I can see if you were carrying a box of them around all the time. I can see if you were talking about an application on a lot smaller scale, but the added weight that's almost the equivalent weight of 4 ounces of water? (It is the equivalent of 4 ounces of water difference comparing the Xoom wifi to the upcoming Galaxy Tab 10.1... it's like 3.68 ounces different between Xoom wifi to the ipad 2, and even taking the added weight for the full xoom model, that's only adding ~0.05 pounds, (less than an ounce) in addition to figures above.)

I just don't get it. Sure it would be nice. I wish it were a little lighter just so I didn't have to hear people question why I got the xoom over ipad and say it's too heavy etc, but I don't get where people are coming from on this thing. How is that much added weight really a problem? I don't think I've *ever* been in a situation where having to have the equivalent of 1/5 of a 20 ounce bottle of soda/water added to what I had to do physically (heck, even included the added mass of the bottle) would have caused any problems.

I used to rock climb... perhaps when I had 40+ pieces of gear on me, I can understand where shaving on average 2-3 ounces a piece would be incredibly beneficial, but we're talking about maxing out physical capabilities, where a few extra pounds makes a huge difference. I just can't fathom how the weight of the Xoom compared to any other tablet on the market could be a problem. I get how you could think it'd be nice to have one of the other tablets' weight specs, but in practice, I just don't see it.

Advertisement

2. Siscim23

Siscim23 Lurker
    None

Mar 25, 2011
    Lol, I agree. Sure when someone who owns an iPad holds the Xoom they say "wow, it's heavy" because it is noticeable. But to say the weight is a problem? No way.

C8H10N4O2 likes this.
  3. 3devious

3devious Android Expert
    None

Oct 28, 2009
    Washington, DC area
    OK, I will come out and say it. Most of you just don't understand because you are guys. I don't care how sexist that sounds. I have enough stuff to carry so yes every gram counts. The heavier each piece is, the more carefully I have to choose which taser I put in my purse because I am more likely to wish I had that on me than a phone, tablet or makeup kit.

Psychokitty likes this.
  4. sookster54

sookster54 Android Expert
    None

Jul 28, 2010
    You have more than one? lol

And yes 1.5 lbs is a bit heavy for a tablet because if you're sitting there holding it and watching a video, your arm will get tired in about 5 minutes, I tried this with the iPad and had to rest it on the armrest of the chair. I also used the 7" Galaxy tab and that was much easier to hold up longer (half a lbs?).

5. Psychokitty

Psychokitty Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 14, 2009
    In the forum dog house.
    "Excuse me, waiter."
    "I'm sorry Sir, is there a problem?"
    "Yes, it's my baked tofu. It's too... -heavy."

vamp6x6x6x likes this.
  6. LunchBB

LunchBB Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 20, 2011
    "I'm sorry sir. not only our tofu is heavy, it is also only half baked even though the chef promised it'll be fully cooked after you paid for it."

vamp6x6x6x likes this.
  7. Zykhan

Zykhan Newbie
    None

Feb 19, 2011
    As someone who's been lugging a 17" laptop (and gear) the weight is not an issue at all. Plus most of the time my Xoom is on my desk, counter,etc in the portfolio case

8. rushmore

rushmore Extreme Android User
    None

Nov 13, 2008
    Kentucky
    Welp, if the Xoom had usb host, I would have one. Solid device, but I need the host function.

9. rushmore

rushmore Extreme Android User
    None

Nov 13, 2008
    Kentucky
    Ditto. Moto's lack of apparent effort in fixing things like the microsd that is STILL not working is a tad lame, considering Asus has a working slot.

Sure, Google have been buttheads trying to impose contained storage and get rid of other storage with Honeycomb, but Moto has to get er' done.

10. joemac80

joemac80 Lurker
    None

Apr 12, 2011
    I love my WiFi xoom, however I'm having difficulty with motorola dt software???? I dl the exe file and it says that it dl but when I reboot my comp, it's still just an exe file??

11. LunchBB

LunchBB Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 20, 2011
    No idea what you are talking about

12. Psychokitty

None

Dec 14, 2009
    In the forum dog house.
    I guess that's the whole thing for me -about the extra few ounces being a silly complaint (IMO). I'm also used to lugging a case around that contains my 17" lap and associated crap. And although that laptop was kick-ass when I got it, the Xoom is just as quick and responsive at three things it can do so far.

13. en WyCe

en WyCe Member
    None

Apr 11, 2010
    Flushing, NY
    As others have noted, I'm waiting for the 4G upgrade before I do anything. There is also the fact that Google hasn't released Honeycomb yet, so the community hasn't been able to do anything (in regard to mods and such).

14. Plakius

Plakius Member
    None

Dec 8, 2009
    Los Angeles/NYC
    I am at the point of hating my xoom .. I get many devices the first day they come out and usually hold on until they get better .... but here we are months later and now I am just disappointed.. I don't care about the SD card or the 4g .. First things first a web browser that I don't have to debug EVERYTIME i use it, The browser lags, while typing, worse than my grandma writing an email with her glasses off, a market that I can comment on and get developer email addresses from .. APPS .. the apps are ridiculous. No facebook and then I am supposed to use a mobile website on a HD screen .. STFU ... I've been quiet and not posting too because I was trying to get a f@^# tumblr app to work .. My not optimized twitter makes me crazy .. I find that I rather do shit on my DX .. Why have we not seen one update?

If motorola asks why their sales are low let me be the first to say nobody wants to buy 1/2 a product ... and 2 months later it's still half a product .. You're trying to sell one shoe motorola .. DO YOU HEAR ME?

I've sat in many discussions with iOs people and tell them why I prefer android over iOs and as I debate with them I get envious on how they can whip though social media, browse with ease, and stream netflix

I mean I love the flash compatibility but it isn't flawless .. I love all the customization of android... I love being able to download and unzip file .. I love tunee music and bit torrents ... But if you're going to give us a lack of social media apps then you need to at least give us a browser that works.. I don't like Dolphin HD cause the tabs scroll up and you have to rescroll up to click other tabs .. firefox is low resolution as is Miren and Dolphin mini(which is my favorite browser I wish they made it in HD)

So everyone can sit here and tell me the Kool Aid tastes good but the question is "Aren't you still thirsty?" .. Please motorola give us a glass of water .. We are die hards here .. We jumped on at a high ticket of $800 That's almost 2 iPads .. hook your peoples up!

15. Psychokitty

None

Dec 14, 2009
    In the forum dog house.
    As I've stated already, I'm in it for long haul. But that doesn't mean I don't sympathize with those who are frustrated and disappointed.
    That was definitely one of the best posts on that subject I've read on any forum.

16. 3devious

3devious Android Expert
    None

Oct 28, 2009
    Washington, DC area
    I only experience typing frustration on this site. Sell it on eBay if it's bothering you that much. If I got more mileage out of my Droid phone than this, I would have taken it back when the trial was over.

17. rjoudrey

rjoudrey Android Expert
    None

Nov 5, 2009
    Looking for work!
    Florida
    If you do sell it take your time and date for awhile. Don't jump right back into marriage. The grass is not always greener! Separation may help your heart grow fonder for the xoom. Above all, no one night stands.

18. 3devious

3devious Android Expert
    None

Oct 28, 2009
    Washington, DC area
    You meant to reply to the guy above me I hope. :p

19. Old Member

Old Member Android Expert
    None

Mar 23, 2010
    Male
    Teacher/Church Planter/ Basketball Coach
    Cincinnati
    Sold it on eBay, bought an iPad 2 and haven't had one regret since. Wish I'd been smarter and not lost $300 to begin with. BTW I'm typing this on my iPad 2 and there is ZERO lag like there was with my Xoom. I just wish there was a Phandroid app in the AppStore. Any chance they'll open Tapatalk back up for those of us that use both brands now? :rolleyes: I didn't think so. :)

20. 3devious

3devious Android Expert
    None

Oct 28, 2009
    Washington, DC area
    Nope, suck it up and use the browser. It's OK. While the Phandroid app doesn't lag one bit for me, it still pales in comparison to XDA's app (there is a new build for Honeycomb that is excellent.) The Xoom forum is better, too.