• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Why the Hero on Sprint is Superior >droid and all else :)

Dreamliner

Android Enthusiast
Nov 5, 2009
Alright. I re-upped my Sprint plan. I have had no service issues with Sprint, so for me, I was happy.

I wanted an iPhone, but was unwilling to spend over 100 for a freaking phone plan, plus, its a PHONE and if it cant make calls (ahem...att); no thanks.

I checked out the Hero and decided to upgrade it without much thinking. After I found this site I learned of the Droid.

I went into Verizon and picked up the Droid. I was expecting to be blown away by its awesomeness....I wasnt.

The Droid's onscreen keyboard sucked, the phone was a fingerprint magnet, and the casing is jenky. The phone utilizes the enhanced resolution very poorly. i.e. its not putting more icons on the screen or making them bigger...its just adding spacing.

I called up sprint and negotiated a better plan. I am getting the simply everything 450 with 600 bonus minutes and a $20 credit per month!

I pay $49.99 for 1050 minutes and I love my Hero.

:rolleyes:

I don't like the Droid, it's too big. And maybe it's just the one I played with at the store, but when swiping left and righ between homescreens, all the icons and widgets delayed in moving with the background? Like, they werent in sync with each other? I dont know, maybe it was just the one I played with. It looked pretty old and worn out anyways, who knows what the guys over at Best Buy do with the model phones once the front doors are locked.

Upvote 0
I got the Hero because I thought I'd like it, and with the exception of a couple problems which HTC/Sprint should be fixing any old time now, my expectations have been met or exceeded.

And I could give a tinker's damn whether it's better or worse than another newer phone on a different carrier and I care even less whether anyone else likes it or not.

I have a Hero and I'm satisfied with it! So there! :p

Carry on. :D

Pete

Upvote 0
Well, I think that reference is the assumption that because another network is updating and similar device, that Sprint will mirror the same update. Hmmm..."past history predicts future performance", so I would not hold my breath waiting for this. Sad... but Sprint has dropped the ball before. So, I will eagerly hope for the best and prepare for nothing... lol...

Upvote 0
The update to 2.0 actually hasnt been confirmed yet. The report of them skipping 1.6 and going to 2.0 was for the European version of the Hero. I am sure they will do the update and hopefully soon. Especially since Christmas is coming soon it would help sell alot more.
Pretty sure 2.0 has been confirmed for ALL Heros. CDMA & GSM alike.

Upvote 0
I like my Droid a lot more than my Hero, but that's largely due to Verizon's data being way better than Sprint's where I live. I don't think its for everyone(damn push email problems, and the keyboard is hard to adjust to) but I think the Droids a pretty nifty device, but if your service with Sprint is fine, it's really not worth upgrading to in the end.

Upvote 0
The problem is, it's not up to HTC. They can develop the upgrade, but the carrier has the final word about whether their customers get it.

Pete

Exactly thats why I said GSM was getting the upgrade and not "All Heros" like someone else said. Since Sprint is always behind in the upgrades they take there time. Once 2.0 is out for HTC and they update sense then Sprint will need to update all there bloatware for the 2.0 system. Dont get me wrong I would love it for Sprint to get the update right away. But unless Sprint has said anything about it recently I dont think its coming when the GSM version does. Its coming I think it will be next year sometime.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones