• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Why un-root to accept OTA?

ACD168

Android Expert
Apr 30, 2010
What would be the benefit(if any) from un-rooting, applying the OTA and then re-rooting thanks to the S-OFF unrevoked forever.

why not just apply the 2.15x radio, and wait for a ROM to be built off the OTA.

would it update your HBOOT if some people are interested in that, or no because of S-OFF.

will the radio maybe be different?

is it just for the peace of mind that you got the "official" 2.2

For me, its the fact that the official ROM isn't the only that isn't cobbled together from other pieces (like being ported from the evo, etc) and having to deal with a variety of issues. I like the idea of rooting to get rid of bloat and add tethering, but I am one of those not convinced by current roms (which is funny, because my HTC athena has had ROMs from the XDA kitchen since i bought it.)

Upvote 0
If you are happy with what you have now, you just might not want to do this OTA at all.
I decided to flash the OTA ROM just like I have been doing the custom ROMs and it seems to be all good. I have no desire to accept to the OTA update now. I'm all good until someone comes up with a superior custom ROM based on the OTA ROM.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones