• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Why update my ROM?

I hope that most of you aren't screaming at your computers now but...
Why should i update to the latest ROM?

When the new ROM was released I downloaded it ready to install. But I have never got round to doing it. My orange hero is using Build 1.76. I have build 2.73 waiting for the install. But why? I am happy how I have my hero set up. All is working. I can back up all my data and apps so that is not an issue.
What advantages are there?

IIRC that was the original ROM that many people complained about - very slow and jerky. I have never had it so can't comment. However many people commented how much quicker their Hero was after the new ROm was flashed.

But then if it ain't broke don't fix it. Or wait until March when 2.1 is due out and rwad the comments on that - may be better to jump straight to that, rather than upgrading twice in a month.

Upvote 0
If you update your ROM you're updating the phone's firmware (Like updating windows, for example). It's called a ROM because you write over your phone's Read Only Memory to replace the firmware.

If you don't have the latest version of the phone's firmware, you can download a new ROM from HTC's website. Or from your mobile network if you bought a branded one.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones