• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Why update the radio?

dacowboys21

Lurker
Sep 17, 2010
Hey guys new to the forum but always on here looking stuff up for the phone and you guys post alot of great info. I just converted to the dark side rooted the phone s-off but my radio is still 2.1.75 I believe. What are the benefits if any to updating to 2.9 version I see alot of people have? Sorry for the stupid question guys. Oh and one last thing if I use a custom ROM how do I run titanium backup after it reboots everything?Thanks again guys sorry for the dumb question

Welcome to the rooted...

I'll give it a shot. I may be wrong but I believe the correct radio version for the Dinc is now 2.15.00.07.28 which is what's needed to run the 2.2 Froyo ROMS. (course I could be totally off there).

As far as the titanium backup, make sure you back the apps up BEFORE flashing the ROM. Then once you've flashed, go back to the market and download Titanium and install. Start it up and you should see all the apps you backed up. Just restore from there.

Additionally, make sure to create a nandroid backup from the clockworkmod boot.

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
Thanks Casbah really do appreciate your help. I did back everything up already nandroid and on titanium. So let me see if I got it right flash a new ROM and then just download titanium and it should be fine? Oh if anyone can help I am switching SD cards I had a 2gb now just got a brand new 32gb card do can I just do a straight swap from card to card and install the new one on my phone? I know I do have to format it

Upvote 0
Thanks Casbah really do appreciate your help. I did back everything up already nandroid and on titanium. So let me see if I got it right flash a new ROM and then just download titanium and it should be fine? Oh if anyone can help I am switching SD cards I had a 2gb now just got a brand new 32gb card do can I just do a straight swap from card to card and install the new one on my phone? I know I do have to format it

Yep, that's pretty much it! Although with some of the ROMS (like Ruby) you'll need to download the google apps zip file first because there won't be a market app available to let you download Titanium. Ruby is pure vanilla as you can get.

My suggestion and a somewhat newer ROM flasher myself is to start with something like Virtuous or SkyRaider sense. Then once you get comfortable you can flash others. Just remember to install 2.2 (if you're now on Android 2.1 OS) you'll need to upgrade the radio which is the most sensitive part of this type of flashing. Just be cautious and take it slow. :)

About the card, I actually asked the same question here on this forum and got great help. All you have to do is make sure to format the 32gb card in FAT32 (must be this and NOT Fat16) then you can just copy all the files from the old to the new card and put it back in the phone. That's it. Everything will be recognized like it was always there.

Hope this helps.

(rock the) Casbah!:cool:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones