• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Why upgrade now?

4G network may be rolling out towards the end of the year but there will be no 4G phones until Q1/Q2 of next year and even then doesn't mean 4G would be readily available because it won't, so I figure by the time it's actually available in my area I'll be ready to upgrade so why wait?

I could either do an annual upgrade a year from now or wait 2 years and see how the 4G rollout is doing.

Reactions: Redbird1
Upvote 0
I'm an Evo user, in NJ where we get 4G coverage if we are near state lines by Philly, and perhaps some areas near NY. This 4G thing isn't an on/off switch. It will take awhile. I got the Evo because I like Sprint in my area, and it was the best phone available for them even without 4G.

I'd suggest getting the phone you want, not worry about 4G/LTE yet. Besides the fact that you'll be waiting close to a year for the first LTE phone anyway, you'll want to wait until the LTE phone for you is out.

There is always something better coming in a few months, if you let that paralyze you, you'll still be on a 7 year old RAZR phone because you can't pull the trigger on a new purchase.

Reactions: Redbird1
Upvote 0
I'm an Evo user, in NJ where we get 4G coverage if we are near state lines by Philly, and perhaps some areas near NY. This 4G thing isn't an on/off switch. It will take awhile. I got the Evo because I like Sprint in my area, and it was the best phone available for them even without 4G.

I'd suggest getting the phone you want, not worry about 4G/LTE yet. Besides the fact that you'll be waiting close to a year for the first LTE phone anyway, you'll want to wait until the LTE phone for you is out.

There is always something better coming in a few months, if you let that paralyze you, you'll still be on a 7 year old RAZR phone because you can't pull the trigger on a new purchase.

Great response. Can't agree with you more.

Upvote 0
OP it seems like you are assuming a couple things:

1. LTE will be available everywhere soon
2. There will be LTE handsets available as soon as LTE is in some markets

Since everyone who buys smartphones doesn't live in a major market or place where LTE will be initially rolled out, you are suggesting they should hold out not knowing when it will be ready?

And devices don't start coming out as soon as the switches are "turned on". They have to go through testing and stuff too. It will most likely be several months afterwards before we see several LTE handsets ready. Of course, there will be a manufacturer that will jump the gun and want to be the first one but just take a look at how long Sprint's WiMax has been live and they have 1 device. They aren't exactly flooding the market with WiMax handsets. There's a reason for that.

Upvote 0
By march you should be 2 GHz processors, no need to jump the gun now especially if you aren't one of the "i have to have it" type of person.

And BTW GO WINGS!! :D I grew up in West Bloomfield.

Agreed, I know that by March something new and cool will be out, so waiting will probably be the best option.

It's been hard being a Wings fan in Chicago.....this year anyway....GO WINGS!

Upvote 0
Thanks, you all make good arguments. My problem is that my upgrade time isn't until March. I was willing to shell out full price for the X this weekend, but I'm not so sure now. I'll have to think about it.

Yeah to be honest I wouldn't shell out full price for this at this point. It's kind of hard to do that when newer devices come out so quickly. I used an upgrade to get the X and I know I will want to try the Samsung device because all of the reviews are raving over it. But I know I'll have to put out full price for it. I'm sure I could sell my X for a good amount to recoup some of the costs though. But that's the only way I'd pay full price... if I had something else to sell to cover more than half the price of the new device.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones