• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Why upgrade to a 2.1 based ROM?

02keilj

Apr 1, 2010
Ok, so I took the plunge and threw SenseHero 2.2 on my HERO.
As with many others I was curious as to why i should upgrade. Even now im still trying to find new things to do with 2.1 that i couldnt do before.
I thought why have a thread that people can post new things about 2.1 ROMs so that fence sitters can have a decision.

So put up the apps/widgets etc that are 2.1 only and why they are so great. Also remember to state if it is ROM dependant (Villain/SenseHero etc)

I am on SenseHero 2.2
the pinch zoom in home screen that shows an overview of all your 7 screens is wonderful. It makes getting to the end screens so much quicker, and it looks super flashy.
At first i didnt like the theme but now i really quite like it.

Live Wallpapers & 3D gallery
they are pretty nifty, however on my device were not so smooth so I uninstalled as it is really just eye candy and does not add to the use of the phone. Much the same with 3d gallery, i had a few minor problems but was happy with the original gallery so switched back.
Your experience with these may differ though so they are worth a look.

Bluetooth file transfer is working? Or so i have heard, i havn't tested yet though

Google Goggles,
Although 1.6 is required, most people are on 1.5 roms. It is a really cool app, works great when wanting an online price as opposed to a store price. Ive used it to find some info on books for uni etc. It stores your history so you can recall everything you have searched.

AOSP Keyboard, I got quite used to the HTC keyboard but once i swapper it for this there was no going back. Much quiker than HTC keyboard and a lot easier to type. Though i do miss the long press for symbols, i can live without them.

As for apps and widgets, so far im not too sure. I hope some others can suggest some.

JuiceDefender. It can switch your WiFi/Mobile data on for a few minutes out of every 20 minutes (as an example), but keeps them constantly enabled when the screen is on. That means you can leave the internet connected and recieve emails/notifications and so on without worrying about the battery.

Upvote 0
2.2 is the only rom ive tried that is stable...no error msgs anymore but ive not honestly tested everything to know what really does not work...everything ive tried works well. i cant seem to add the email wiget, i cant even find it? anybody know where to find it so i can add it to my screen. i find that abit weird as it was their when i firsted upgraded to 2.2

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones