• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Why US version cannot make phone calls?

pieq314

Nov 23, 2010
Why the US version of the Samsung Galaxy Tab cannot be used to make cellphone calls?

The hardware is capable of making calls, and people can install their own software to turn it into a regular cellphone. So the question is: why did the US cellphone companies go through the trouble to disable the cellphone function? Forcing customers to buy two product (cellphone and tab) and sign up for 2 data plans?

Why the US version of the Samsung Galaxy Tab cannot be used to make cellphone calls?

The hardware is capable of making calls, and people can install their own software to turn it into a regular cellphone. So the question is: why did the US cellphone companies go through the trouble to disable the cellphone function? Forcing customers to buy two product (cellphone and tab) and sign up for 2 data plans?

I think you may have answered your own question there.

Upvote 0
First off, 95% of people buying a Tab are already going to have a cell phone for calls. Second, you can make calls via VOIP just fine on it. Was talking to friends on Skype just a few minutes ago with it. Not a big deal IMO

I've been using the Skype solution for calling on 3G and WiFi, which works well, but if I'm not actively on the phone for a while Skype seems to kind of fall asleep even though it says I'm still signed in and connected. My calls go to voicemail. Of course, I am notified right away and I can just call the person back, but it would be better if there was some way to keep Skype active in the background. Have you had this problem or am I missing something?

Upvote 0
First off, 95% of people buying a Tab are already going to have a cell phone for calls.

The exact same argument could be made for people outside the US, and yet our Galaxy tabs can make regular phone calls.

There's only one logical reason why inherant device functionality has been deliberately crippled. They don't want people ending up with one data plan when they can force them to have two.

Upvote 0
I've been using the Skype solution for calling on 3G and WiFi, which works well, but if I'm not actively on the phone for a while Skype seems to kind of fall asleep even though it says I'm still signed in and connected. My calls go to voicemail. Of course, I am notified right away and I can just call the person back, but it would be better if there was some way to keep Skype active in the background. Have you had this problem or am I missing something?
How much data do you use when you use VOIP calls frequently?

Upvote 0
They don't want people ending up with one data plan when they can force them to have two.

Well, in a sense, I suppose.

But to view our choices in purchases of these devices as being "forced" in any way at all seems hyperbolic. If we don't want two data plans then we don't want two telephones either.

I can't see myself wanting to make telephone calls from a tablet, but I can and do see myself browsing the internet, texting, etc from my cell phone, same as millions of other cell phone users do.

The Tab seems like another whole family of Android devices, another whole market.

Upvote 0
Well, in a sense, I suppose.

But to view our choices in purchases of these devices as being "forced" in any way at all seems hyperbolic. If we don't want two data plans then we don't want two telephones either.

I can't see myself wanting to make telephone calls from a tablet, but I can and do see myself browsing the internet, texting, etc from my cell phone, same as millions of other cell phone users do.

The Tab seems like another whole family of Android devices, another whole market.

Sorry, but I've read your post four times now and I still can't work out exactly what you're trying to say.

With a European tab I have two choices. I can use a smartphone and a tab together for two different purposes, or I can ditch my phone and use the tab as an 'all in one' device including standard calls and texts.

The US carriers have effectively removed the second option for US consumers, they only really have the first option.

I agree that the term 'forcing' is a bit strong, but they have effectively tipped the scales toward US consumers needing two data plans. There's only one reason they'd do that.

Upvote 0
The point I'm making has to do with choices on device selection.

I don't feel "forced" in any of my choices just because one device is not a phone and another is. ;)

I suppose that if I were a resident of some country where Tablets are phone enabled, and then I moved to an area where they are not, I'd have to adjust my sensibilities. But "forced?"

That is the word that I disagree with a bit.

Upvote 0
The point I'm making has to do with choices on device selection.

That's exactly my point. I have a choice as to whether I use my tablet as a standard phone or not, you don't.

I have a choice to either go with two devices or just use one, you don't.

Just because your lack of choice doesn't bother you doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

If, for whatever reason, someone in the US wants to use the tab as their 'only device' for surfing, e-mail, games and standard phonecalls they can't, they have to get a mobile phone data plan as well.

The service providers are taking away people's choices in order to increase profits. I'd be pretty annoyed about that if I were in the US, even though I don't use my tab as a mobile phone, I still have the option if I change my mind or my circumstances change. You don't.

Upvote 0
So because you don't want it it's perfectly ok to remove that choice from everyone else as well?

I've seen cars with lumber sticking out of the windows from time to time. I would never take that choice away from those folks.

I wonder what makes some people think that other's choices threaten their choices about things such as phoning with a tablet, etc. We're just talking about the relative merits of these devices, not about whether or not they should exist. At least that's the way I've been viewing the discussion.

Upvote 0
I personally agree with Anthony1. I'm an American and I would definitely appreciate having a tablet that has full phone capabilities.

A smartphone is great when all you want is something small and fits in your pocket but you still need access to the internet and certain apps. If I was heading out to a club, it would be ridiculous to bring a 7-10 inch device with me. A tablet is best suited for situations such as traveling, relaxing at a coffee shop, school campuses, or lounging around the house because it has a bigger screen and it makes reading web pages and e-books much easier. If I'm going to be in a place where I would bring my tablet, why should I carry a second device (e.g. my cellphone) when a tablet could easily be equipped to support the full phone functionality. Having a tablet with phone capabilities is even more beneficial for people who subscribe to a GSM service provider because they can easily switch out the SIM card between the two devices, eliminating the need for having two data plans.

The least Samsung could have done was allow people to pair their devices with bluetooth so users can control their phones from their tablet, send text messages, and see who's calling on caller ID. They have bluetooth pairing in all new model cars so you don't have to fumble around trying to pull out your phone while driving. Why can't they at least do this for tablets so users can continue using their Galaxy Tab, and not have to fumble around to check the caller ID when a call comes in.

@Frisco If you don't want to use a tablet as a phone, you wouldn't have to but Samsung should have never taken that choice away from the rest of us.

Upvote 0
With my size a Galaxy Tab would be at the extreme edge of possibility as a hand held cell phone and I might use it as such if I had the option.

I am waiting to see what HTC comes up with.

I'm waiting, too, for different screen sizes, etc.

Meanwhile, many U.S. Galaxy Tab users do want phone functionality, and I'm thinking that if enough of them complain, perhaps they can influence the carriers here.. but it's doubtful.

The hacking alternative seems viable, as has happened on other levels (Froyo ROMs for the Eris, etc). Open source does have its advantages. ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones