1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Why US version cannot make phone calls?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by pieq314, Dec 19, 2010.

1. pieq314

pieq314 Member
    None

Nov 23, 2010
    Why the US version of the Samsung Galaxy Tab cannot be used to make cellphone calls?

The hardware is capable of making calls, and people can install their own software to turn it into a regular cellphone. So the question is: why did the US cellphone companies go through the trouble to disable the cellphone function? Forcing customers to buy two product (cellphone and tab) and sign up for 2 data plans?

Advertisement

2. Anthony1

Anthony1 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 5, 2010
    Luton UK
    I think you may have answered your own question there.

3. jeverton

jeverton Newbie
    None

Feb 28, 2010
    Director Sales Enablement Training
    Texas
    What a bunch of garbage... Common US carriers play the game and drive your markets with technology & lead the industry by example!

4. vamp6x6x6x

vamp6x6x6x Android Enthusiast
    None

It's like you said, "Forcing customers to buy two product (cellphone and tab) and sign up for 2 data plans"

In short: more money.

5. mbell75

None

Jan 16, 2010
    SoCal
    First off, 95% of people buying a Tab are already going to have a cell phone for calls. Second, you can make calls via VOIP just fine on it. Was talking to friends on Skype just a few minutes ago with it. Not a big deal IMO

6. Maris

Maris Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 1, 2010
    Ohio
    I've been using the Skype solution for calling on 3G and WiFi, which works well, but if I'm not actively on the phone for a while Skype seems to kind of fall asleep even though it says I'm still signed in and connected. My calls go to voicemail. Of course, I am notified right away and I can just call the person back, but it would be better if there was some way to keep Skype active in the background. Have you had this problem or am I missing something?

7. Anthony1

None

Jan 5, 2010
    Luton UK
    The exact same argument could be made for people outside the US, and yet our Galaxy tabs can make regular phone calls.

There's only one logical reason why inherant device functionality has been deliberately crippled. They don't want people ending up with one data plan when they can force them to have two.

8. barkway

barkway Newbie
    None

Dec 19, 2010
    You can't use Skype to call non-skype users (free Skype I mean), plus video doesn't work, just voice.

9. pieq314

pieq314 Member
    None

Nov 23, 2010
    How much data do you use when you use VOIP calls frequently?

10. mbell75

None

Jan 16, 2010
    SoCal
    So you buy a Skype phone number for $30 and pay $2.99 a month for unlimited calling which is cheaper than any cell phone plan you will find. Problem solved.

11. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra=
    None

Well, in a sense, I suppose.

But to view our choices in purchases of these devices as being "forced" in any way at all seems hyperbolic. If we don't want two data plans then we don't want two telephones either.

I can't see myself wanting to make telephone calls from a tablet, but I can and do see myself browsing the internet, texting, etc from my cell phone, same as millions of other cell phone users do.

The Tab seems like another whole family of Android devices, another whole market.

12. Anthony1

None

Jan 5, 2010
    Luton UK
    Sorry, but I've read your post four times now and I still can't work out exactly what you're trying to say.

With a European tab I have two choices. I can use a smartphone and a tab together for two different purposes, or I can ditch my phone and use the tab as an 'all in one' device including standard calls and texts.

The US carriers have effectively removed the second option for US consumers, they only really have the first option.

I agree that the term 'forcing' is a bit strong, but they have effectively tipped the scales toward US consumers needing two data plans. There's only one reason they'd do that.

13. Frisco

None

The point I'm making has to do with choices on device selection.

I don't feel "forced" in any of my choices just because one device is not a phone and another is. ;)

I suppose that if I were a resident of some country where Tablets are phone enabled, and then I moved to an area where they are not, I'd have to adjust my sensibilities. But "forced?"

That is the word that I disagree with a bit.

14. Anthony1

None

Jan 5, 2010
    Luton UK
    That's exactly my point. I have a choice as to whether I use my tablet as a standard phone or not, you don't.

I have a choice to either go with two devices or just use one, you don't.

Just because your lack of choice doesn't bother you doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

If, for whatever reason, someone in the US wants to use the tab as their 'only device' for surfing, e-mail, games and standard phonecalls they can't, they have to get a mobile phone data plan as well.

The service providers are taking away people's choices in order to increase profits. I'd be pretty annoyed about that if I were in the US, even though I don't use my tab as a mobile phone, I still have the option if I change my mind or my circumstances change. You don't.

15. Frisco

None

And I don't want it, anymore than I want the option to haul lumber in my car when I have a perfectly good pickup truck for that purpose.

16. Anthony1

None

Jan 5, 2010
    Luton UK
    So because you don't want it it's perfectly ok to remove that choice from everyone else as well?

17. Frisco

None

I've seen cars with lumber sticking out of the windows from time to time. I would never take that choice away from those folks.

I wonder what makes some people think that other's choices threaten their choices about things such as phoning with a tablet, etc. We're just talking about the relative merits of these devices, not about whether or not they should exist. At least that's the way I've been viewing the discussion.

18. Anthony1

None

Jan 5, 2010
    Luton UK
    Yet you seem quite happy to see mobile service providers remove people's choice to use the tab as a phone.

19. Frisco

None

This thread is not about me, though. It's about a device being manufactured, configured and released in different ways here and there.

Let's talk about that device. ;)

20. NunyaBidnez

NunyaBidnez Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 4, 2010
    Student/Intern
    Los Angeles, CA
    I personally agree with Anthony1. I'm an American and I would definitely appreciate having a tablet that has full phone capabilities.

A smartphone is great when all you want is something small and fits in your pocket but you still need access to the internet and certain apps. If I was heading out to a club, it would be ridiculous to bring a 7-10 inch device with me. A tablet is best suited for situations such as traveling, relaxing at a coffee shop, school campuses, or lounging around the house because it has a bigger screen and it makes reading web pages and e-books much easier. If I'm going to be in a place where I would bring my tablet, why should I carry a second device (e.g. my cellphone) when a tablet could easily be equipped to support the full phone functionality. Having a tablet with phone capabilities is even more beneficial for people who subscribe to a GSM service provider because they can easily switch out the SIM card between the two devices, eliminating the need for having two data plans.

The least Samsung could have done was allow people to pair their devices with bluetooth so users can control their phones from their tablet, send text messages, and see who's calling on caller ID. They have bluetooth pairing in all new model cars so you don't have to fumble around trying to pull out your phone while driving. Why can't they at least do this for tablets so users can continue using their Galaxy Tab, and not have to fumble around to check the caller ID when a call comes in.

@Frisco If you don't want to use a tablet as a phone, you wouldn't have to but Samsung should have never taken that choice away from the rest of us.

21. Anthony1

None

Jan 5, 2010
    Luton UK
    I'm not sure that Samsung is the culprit here. I'm sure thay'd be happier to simply supply the same tab that the rest of the world is using. It would be easier for them.

I think its the US carriers that have pushed to disable this functionality.

22. Frisco

None

23. rubinscube

rubinscube Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 5, 2009
    Colorado
    I heard from others that this flash works, but can disable the web browsing abilities along with 3g functionality, any truth to this?

24. SamuraiBigEd

SamuraiBigEd Under paid Sasquatch!
    None

Nov 8, 2009
    Male
    Production, Warehouse & Installation Manager
    San Antonio, Texas
    With my size a Galaxy Tab would be at the extreme edge of possibility as a hand held cell phone and I might use it as such if I had the option.

I am waiting to see what HTC comes up with.

25. Frisco

None

I'm waiting, too, for different screen sizes, etc.

Meanwhile, many U.S. Galaxy Tab users do want phone functionality, and I'm thinking that if enough of them complain, perhaps they can influence the carriers here.. but it's doubtful.

The hacking alternative seems viable, as has happened on other levels (Froyo ROMs for the Eris, etc). Open source does have its advantages. ;)