• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Why Use A Launcher?

Depending on which you get they may be better programed and can speed up the screen switching a bit load faster etc. Launcher Pro alone has the ability to lock the homescreen into the memory so when you go back to your home after browsing, all the widgets and stuff don't need time to reload, everything is just there.

Theres also the added ability more customizaiton with your dock, screens, settings/preferences etc etc.

The two fastest I believe that are out right now is Launcher Pro and Zeam.

Zeam is REALLY nice and quick but is more bone stock and doesn't have the plethora of options that Launcher Pro has, but that depends heavily on what you find useful.

Upvote 0
I switched because one day I realized that I didn't need the phone button to be as big as it was, and the + button was useless because I could just tap&hold on the screen and do the same thing. So that was like half of the space along the bottom that was just doing nothing. With LauncherPro (as well as others) you can put whatever apps or widgets in the dock you like.

Upvote 0
The main reason I got launcher pro was to have the ability to have my home screen in landscape without extending the keyboard.

The 30 apps in the dock (15 icons 15 swipe) was a bonus. I don't have to have my screens cluttered with icons.

oh that also reminds me, with launcher pro they include an option for you to hide apps from the tray so they don't clutter up your screen, such as idle apps that are there just to provide a service or system apps you don't want to see.

Like I have one called dock speaker, so when I plug my phone into my car dock it automatically enabled the speaker so when I get a call I don't have to hold my phone or mess with buttons, no need for me to have that in my app tray

Upvote 0
oh that also reminds me, with launcher pro they include an option for you to hide apps from the tray so they don't clutter up your screen, such as idle apps that are there just to provide a service or system apps you don't want to see.

Like I have one called dock speaker, so when I plug my phone into my car dock it automatically enabled the speaker so when I get a call I don't have to hold my phone or mess with buttons, no need for me to have that in my app tray

True, just like certain live wallpapers add icons to the app drawer, that makes no sense.

Upvote 0
I have HTC Sense so it's not so much a need . It took me a long time to leave HTC sense because I really like it. But I'm much happier with LauncherPro. Its like HTC Sense on steroids. I think if you are into customizing and fine tuning the look of your phone then you would dig it.

But no one could convince me either. I read about it, looked at videos but unless you actually install it & play with it, its hard to convince someone...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones