• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Why use another Launcher?

When you click purchase on a paid app, it takes you to a google checkout window where you pay for the app and complete the transaction. I'm not sure how many US carriers are using "carrier billing", I know with Sprint you can pay with your cell bill, but otherwise you'll need a credit card. What I usually do is go to a grocery store/walmart/etc, and buy a $25 - $50 pre paid visa gift card, then I attach that to my phone/google checkout, then I can buy the apps I want to purchase and never worry about much.

I figured that's how it probably worked. Thanks for the confirmation.

Excellent idea about the Visa gift card!

Upvote 0
Although feel free to chime in with fun features of the other launchers - I don't usually find all the really fun stuff until weeks or months later.
You've probably seen the scrollable dock which is very cool. If you long press an icon in the dock you can change the icon as well as the application it's linked to.

Launcher pro comes with a ton of different dock backgrounds which you can find here
LauncherPro Icons | Custom Android app icons for the awesome LauncherPro home screen replacement

You can download them from the website but I believe the paid version makes it easier to get docks and icons because I think there's a special app for the icons and such.

I use Go Launcher which has most of the features I like from LP as well as supporting scrollable widgets and changing the icon grid from 4x4 to 5x5. It's got some nice, ready made themes available to download if you don't feel like tinkering.

There are other features as well but as you can see, non-stock launchers are very customisable and you can start putting together cool desktops like they do in the Post Your Desktop threads. In fact, I recommend viewing those threads to get some inspiration otherwise you might start thinking "I've got the bleedin' launcher. Now what?" as I did.

Reactions: BabyBlues
Upvote 0
.... On topic: I love launcherpro Plus, and its what I use... mostly because of the widgets (I do love some of its other features too though). Some of the other launchers are very good, and they're all a little different, so in the end it comes down to personal preference... no harm in trying them and seeing what configuration you like best. I do know that you need to buy launcherpro Plus to be able to have the widgets, and the resizeable widget capability.

I find that I don't like their widgets so much as the option to change the size of any widget. (I didn't last till the end of my work day before I bought the full version).

You've probably seen the scrollable dock which is very cool. If you long press an icon in the dock you can change the icon as well as the application it's linked to.

Launcher pro comes with a ton of different dock backgrounds which you can find here
LauncherPro Icons | Custom Android app icons for the awesome LauncherPro home screen replacement

You can download them from the website but I believe the paid version makes it easier to get docks and icons because I think there's a special app for the icons and such.

I use Go Launcher which has most of the features I like from LP as well as supporting scrollable widgets and changing the icon grid from 4x4 to 5x5. It's got some nice, ready made themes available to download if you don't feel like tinkering.

There are other features as well but as you can see, non-stock launchers are very customisable and you can start putting together cool desktops like they do in the Post Your Desktop threads. In fact, I recommend viewing those threads to get some inspiration otherwise you might start thinking "I've got the bleedin' launcher. Now what?" as I did.

Yup - I also bought the paid version of the Icons and docks - so much fun.

Upvote 0
I find that I don't like their widgets so much as the option to change the size of any widget. (I didn't last till the end of my work day before I bought the full version).

Yeah everyone likes things a lil different, personal preference thing I'd imagine. Also there are skins for the widgets available in the market (a bunch of them are free) in case you didn't know.

Upvote 0
I tried each free version for about a week and a half to 2weeks (only using one at a time so it was a long process) at the end lpp fit me better so I bought it.

I have an issue with impatience so I didn't even try the others. :)

Yeah everyone likes things a lil different, personal preference thing I'd imagine. Also there are skins for the widgets available in the market (a bunch of them are free) in case you didn't know.

Thank you - I've only just started to realize how much there is that I can do with the launcher.

I also like that my widgets for other programs work seamlessly - especially my calendar widget to show me my upcoming events. That was the first thing I did because it had to work in order for me to buy LPP.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones