• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help why why why why WHY? (contacts related)

Baboontyme

Jun 6, 2010
I can't get my damn contacts streamlined. Frustrated.

When I first got the phone I tried to use the default people app, default calendar, and default mail program to sync with Exchange. It kinda worked, but not well enough. I could only get my contacts to sync one way so I switched to Touchdown. Love TD, it syncs seamlessly with my Exchange account.

The problem is that somehow, somewhere, along the way, I must have imported contacts from Exchange, maybe Google, maybe the default people app....now they're all in my phone. I have no use for the default people app I don't think at this point (unless my phonebook will only pull from that account - no idea). But it's still there. I tried to go in and link them all, but they're still in there in duplicate and sometimes triplicate and it's driving me nuts. Every time I try to make a phone call or send a text and start typing someone's name/number in, 3-5 identical options pop up "Dad mobile, Dad mobile, Dad mobile, Dad mobile".

GRRRRRRRRRRR

They are only listed once in each of the apps now - but they still show up.

How can I fix this? HELP!!!!

I deleted all of my contacts under the "people" app. I cleaned everything up in Outlook on my PC for my Exchange account and saved a .csv backup file just in case. I went into Gmail and deleted all of my contacts on my pc.

Problem is, not sure what to do now.

My Touchdown contacts are syncing with my Exchange just fine.

But if I go to try to make a call from the dialer, there's no contacts in there because it pulls from the default "people" app. If I go into my SMS app and try to compose a text, no contacts pop up at all because it pulls from the default "people" app.

How do I integrate all of this? I want it to be simple. If I make a change in my Outlook contacts, I would like it to update my Contacts in Touchdown and in the default people app. I am assuming at this point I need to somehow get my contacts into my default people app because my phonebooks are all blank.

Any help? Thanks.....

Upvote 0
Check this out:

This is because TouchDown maintains a separate database where contacts are stored, and the information in
TouchDown database has not been populated into the native contacts list in Android. Please refer to this
document for information on how to copy contacts from TouchDown to the native phone book and how
to make sure changes made in Exchange are automatically synced to the phone book.

Syncing with Phone Book - NitroDesk TouchDown | Google Groups

Reactions: Baboontyme
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones