1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Tips Why Women Are Dumping Uber (Lyft, etc)

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by rootabaga, Apr 8, 2016.

1. rootabaga

rootabaga Android Expert

Aug 11, 2014
    More or less IT, lots of hand-holding
    Crazyville, CA
    I was going to put this in the interesting articles thread, but I thought it was significant enough that it was worthy of a separate thread.

Not being of the female persuasion, and rarely ever needing a "Lyft," I hadn't weighed the issues facing women, both as drivers and passengers, regarding ride-sharing services.

I wish them the best.

Full article: http://www.dose.com/style/28133/Here-s-Why-Women-Everywhere-Will-Delete-Uber-On-April-19

Advertisement

2. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 Android Expert
    VIP Member

I rarely find myself needing a 'Lyft' either but think this is a fantastic idea. I did have to take a taxi home from the airport a while back and the driver was a woman, I felt very safe.

I've never Ubered or Lyfted (honestly not sure if I even can here) but would most certainly give Chariot for Women a try before either or them or even a regular taxi. You just can't be too safe these days, hopefully this is a step towards more safe.

3. AZgl1500

AZgl1500 Android Expert
    None

Feb 3, 2011
    Male
    Retired and loving it.
    Oklahoma grasslands
    Thanks for posting that separately, as it does indeed need to be in the Main Stream as a separate thread.

Because of the current horrible employment conditions, and the loss of a good job....
    My daughter is single, working from home using Facebook to try and sell beads, bracelets, baubles, etc...

It sort of works okay, but the buying public is so damn fickle.
    She gets a contact on Facebook, "I want that, arrange a time to meet" and then she drives to the meeting place. ( never, ever, allow anyone to know her home address )

and then at least 25% of them just don't show up for the meet, and half of those, never answer back to follow up.
    very frustrating and I told her I would not do that at all as a business....

I forwarded this info to her, and it just might be something that she would enjoy.
    She is self sufficient, and single because she has not met a man yet who can measure up to her standards.

Two college degrees, so she is not stupid.

rootabaga and mikedt like this.
  4. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Sep 22, 2010
    Teachaaa
    Jinan, China
    Could be because of lack of confidence and trust in Uber drivers.
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-30368479

"A woman in India says she was raped by a taxi driver after booking the cab using the popular Uber smartphone app.
    Uber, which is growing in India, has been accused of failing to conduct adequate checks on its drivers."

This is India, but I believe it's been a problem in many countries where Uber operates.

Something I've really noticed in China, is that there's a lot of female taxi drivers, more than male in some places. Where in the UK it seems to be mostly men.

I use Didi a lot via Wechat, 3-4 times a week, which an equivalent of Uber or Lyft, operated by Tencent. What often arrives is regular, licensed and liveried city taxis, with drivers in uniform and with ID, rather than private cars.

#4 mikedt, Apr 8, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2016
    AZgl1500 and rootabaga like this.