• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Why you won't exchange your Inc to get an X

I looked at the X today as I only had today to trade in. If I had my choice today, i might have gone for the X for battery life. I know I don't fully understand the difference between Sense and Blur; I'm just getting used to Android.
Size-wise, the X is a little bigger than the Inc, but it'd still probably fit ok in a front pocket. Sounds like the battery will last longer in the X, but I already invested in a 1750 battery, that for some reason I've yet to charge up. I've been plugging the Inc into the computer at work to keep it juiced; that means an extra usb cords in my briefcase.
I figure I can go a year and pay the small penalty if something better is available then.

Upvote 0
i upgraded from a dummy phone (lg voyager) to an incredible, so it was a big upgrade and step, unlike the difference from a dinc to x.

i also prefer sense over blur, and moto has to prove themselves worthy of taking on htc hardware before i get convinced, the first droid was good and a breakout for android, can they continue ?

ultimately the phone spends more time in my pocket then my hand. dinc feels light and small enough to the point i have to check to make sure its still there.

actually unlike alot of people who must have the "best" phone at the moment, i love the fact that these phones are coming out. i have an android phone first, and a dinc second, meaning i love the fact that the android platform is making strides and far more advancements then the iphone. anyway you slice it android offers the right phone for you with so many options (as long as you are able to make that decision that is:D ), where (cr)apple your stuck with one flavor and choice.

Upvote 0
I won't because I can't, otherwise I would. :)

My #1 priority right now is screen size. 3.7" was as big as Verizon offered just a month ago. At that time is was more important to get into Android (had a feature phone) than to wait for the next-latest-greatest. When I'm allowed to upgrade next May the X will be a dinosaur and there will be a different "best Android device so far" at that time. [Hopefully it's a 5" no-bezel, Super Amoled, HTC Sense phone-slate with a quad-core processor and week-long battery life! :) ]

Upvote 0
The Incredible is plenty fast for what I need it to do, so the processor of the X isn't it...

The Incredible is a mobile phone...key word...MOBILE! There comes a point where a cell is just too damn big to carry around comfortably. And I like phones that have a flat back, just fits better in the pocket. Unless you're one of those people who wears a holster, then it doesn't matter. Personally, I like having the phone in my pocket.

The rest of the features the X has over the INC are nice, but I'd probably never use the HDMI out, and the other stuff is comparable so whatever.

Bottom line, I originally started with the Droid, didn't like the keyboard and returned for the Eris. While I liked sense and 2.1 the Eris was still too damn slow for me. Bought the INC on ebay for a killer package deal without contract and LOVE LOVE LOVE this phone! It's the only phone that made me not really care about not having my iPhone 3G anymore (dropped it because AT&T SUCKS!).

LTE is right around the corner. INC owners should save their money and wait for the new phones on the new service. What's a few more months?

BTW, first post after lurking for a bit. Hi :)

Upvote 0
I had the Htc incredible briefly and it has a beautiful screen however
HTC build quality was just not for me(and I made the same mistake with the evo)

I considered giving the incredible a second chance when i had initially returned back to verizon but soon after I heard about the X i second guessed my decision.

Coming from an Evo and now with a droid, I am used to the size of the phone. It is a bit shocking hearing men with much bigger hands and what not complain about the size of the Evo/X(and i am pretty sure the fascinate)

I would love to give the incredible another go around but

1)It seems to be a question about rather the incredible will be Eol'd soon(this seems kind of dumb seeing how it is only 2 months old) but that makes me worry about future support and updates

2)HTC's build quality is a lot worse then motorola. I haven't seen or heard as many complaints for motorola devices as I have with HTC's be it the trackball, dust issue, screens coming apart, etc etc. I have had 75% of the issues on my eris/incredible and hero/evo that most complained about

3)Sense vs blur-Sense(as i said it in another post) hasn't changed much. It's pretty, yes. It makes android very appealing but it is the same sense initially found on the hero except now it has friendstream and leap. Blur will be a new experience for me and the X doesn't have full on blur but more like Blur capabilities.

4)The X has more multi-media experience than the Incredible with the movie capabilities and other features

If the X wasn't coming, the incredible would be my best choice but even with the X it's a great phone

Upvote 0
Eh. Better processor doesn't mean much. The jump is minimal and reports from users and professional reviews note it's slower than the Incredible. However, it doesn't make a difference for most users.

Better battery? That's not a real pro. You can purchase a $15 1500 MAH battery and get easily over a day with medium use. I get fantastic battery life.

The X is just too big and provides nothing more than what the Incredible can - especially with coming update(s).

Please merge this helpful Guides.

Thank you for posting this. I found one on eBay for even cheaper! I don't feel like spending $40+ on the seidio battery.

Upvote 0
Better battery? That's not a real pro. You can purchase a $15 1500 MAH battery and get easily over a day with medium use. I get fantastic battery life.

I have two types of friends, the nerdy ones and the non-nerdy ones.

The non-nerdy ones go to the store and buy whichever phone is the prettiest at the moment. The only accessories they buy are chargers and cases. They don't hang out on forums or research the phone. The don't root (or jailbreak if it's Apple)... hell, they don't even know what rooting is! If there is a problem with the phone, they don't go online to figure it out, they call and complain to Verizon until their techs troubleshoot the problem over the phone or just replace the phone for them.

The nerdy friends are the ones that take full advantage of the phone plus some. They are willing to spend extra time and money to make it even better than it was out of the box.

I have more non nerdy friends than I do nerdy ones (even though I am the nerdy one).

So to the average consumer, better battery life out of the box is a big plus. Expecially if they don't do the research to find the $15 battery on EBay and just see the $40+ one at Verizon. In their mind they will think "so the phone costs the same price but I need an extra $40 to get the same battery life?"

Upvote 0
Originally Posted by kriskmk
How can you say no brainer? The X definitely has better hardware..(doesn't it?).. better processor, double antenna, better battery. gorilla glass (which I don't think the Inc does)..
Eh. Better processor doesn't mean much. The jump is minimal and reports from users and professional reviews note it's slower than the Incredible. However, it doesn't make a difference for most users.

The X is just too big and provides nothing more than what the Incredible can - especially with coming update(s).

Please merge this helpful Guides.

A better processor means alot. Opening apps, just overall use of the phone. Just like the difference between using a Droid vs an Inc. One reason some Droid owners went from the Droid to the Inc.

The "slower than the Inc" that some users and reviewers feel probably has to do with Sense UI. I can post a Quadrant or Linpack benchmark to show the differences of the chips.....the same way Inc owners did vs. the Droid.

I've said it many times, Sense UI is just that good. The stock launcher on vanilla Android is no match for the one on Sense. But...Launcher Pro and ADW fixed any slower home screen scrolling on the Droid, I can see it doing it for the X if its really that bad.

Battery life is a real pro. Say the Inc and X both have the same size battery. If it lasts longer on the X, how is that not a pro? If u get a bigger size battery on the Inc. and it last longer.....wouldnt a bigger one on the X last even longer?

Smaller phone, yea the Inc is smaller than the X. The X provides nothing more with the coming Inc updates? 720p recording and mobile hotspot? Maybe better battery life?

Extra mics to use with the 720p recording, noise cancellation mic for call quality, extra antenna for better reception, better cpu & gpu (which means for a better phone experience overall: a better cpu, gpu will handle Flash alot better).....updates cant change that....I'm hearing it may ship with a Class 4 SD Card too. It already ships with a bigger SD Card anyway.

I dont try to change ppl's minds. Get whats best for u. But to say the X has nothing to offer over the Inc? I'm big enough to say the Inc. has something to offer over the Droid. Which is why some ppl switched when the Inc came out. The EVO also has something to offer over the X.

Smaller size, Amoled and upcoming Super LCD screens, Sense UI. Thats what I see as pluses the Inc have over the X. See, I give credit where credit is due. Although....Size, Amoled and Sense UI is more user preference.

Is The iPhone 4's LCD the Best? | PCMag.com

Looking at some screen shots of the Inc and the iPhone 4 the other day, I liked the iPhone 4's better. Which....is user preference. Outside viewing and maybe accurate colors are more important to me than over vibrant colors. Outside viewing would what I would shoot for first. The Inc was a monster for Contrast tho.

But if going by reviews, the X screen is second only to the iPhone 4 right now. U cant adjust these screens like a TV. I do believe the Samsung Super Amoled screens and the Super LCD's the Inc will be getting will wind up being better.

Upvote 0
But if going by reviews, the X screen is second only to the iPhone 4. U cant adjust these screens like a TV.

Reviews mean very little to these cell phones. It might aswell be a "newest phone" contest. Its like taking a year old car, putting an intake and a spoiler on it and reselling. That's exactly what the Droid X is. That being said the iPhone 3GS still topped the charts for a year until the iPhone 4.

Upvote 0
I was super pumped about the Dinc but the lengthy backorder and the litany of threads about issues (like call quality and crappy battery life) have given me pause. I have read some very very positive reviews about the X and now I am thinking that it is going to be the better phone, especially when it comes to call quality and overall specs. Maybe this frustrating backorder was actually a very good thing for me.

Upvote 0
I was super pumped about the Dinc but the lengthy backorder and the litany of threads about issues(like call quality and crappy battery life) have given me pause. I have read some very very positive reviews about the X and now I am thinking that it is going to be the better phone, especially when it comes to call quality and overall specs. Maybe this frustrating backorder was actually a very good thing for me.

Give it a week for the DX.

I have yet to see a phone release without an overload of issues threads

Upvote 0
^That is true. Ppl still have complaints with the Motorola Droid.

Reviews mean very little to these cell phones. It might aswell be a "newest phone" contest. Its like taking a year old car, putting an intake and a spoiler on it and reselling. That's exactly what the Droid X is. That being said the iPhone 3GS still topped the charts for a year until the iPhone 4.

I think it would be a lil more than an intake and spoiler.

YouTube - Droid X benchmark tests

I hope I dont sound like I'm trying to argue. We just discussion phones, thats all...lol

Just give credit where credit is due. Of course no one has to give credit, look at how many ppl hate on the iPhone....lol. If the Inc is a better phone than the Droid that was worth paying retail or upgrading, then the X has to be worth it too. Except for the bigness of it, (is that a word...lol) u gotta admit its an improvment.

I think what makes this situation unique is the Inc is still a new phone, it just came out in late Apr-early May. And with the delays its gonna be considered newer still since everyone that ordered doesnt have on in hand yet.

Upvote 0
^That is true. Ppl still have complaints with the Motorola Droid.

I think it would be a lil more than an intake and spoiler.

YouTube - Droid X benchmark tests

I hope I dont sound like I'm trying to argue. We just discussion phones, thats all...lol

Just give credit where credit is due. Of course no one has to give credit, look at how many ppl hate on the iPhone....lol. If the Inc is a better phone than the Droid that was worth paying retail or upgrading, then the X has to be worth it too. Except for the bigness of it, (is that a word...lol) u gotta admit its an improvment.

I think what makes this situation unique is the Inc is still a new phone. And with the delays its gonna be considered newer still since everyone that ordered doesnt have on in hand yet.

I was using the video for reference. Even in the benchmark tests the Droid X is still having issues beating the old N1 with Froyo. In the end, all these processors are really the same.

Upvote 0
2.1 vs. 2.2.....The X better lose to Froyo...lol

Froyo is amazing. No doubt about it.

Look at Quadrant and the phones on there with 2.1 That chip in the N1 is the same as the one in the EVO, just the GSM version.

NOW I see what someone said about mis information about the gpu....the guy in the video said the X had a separate gpu...which is wrong...lol Its in the family of the best one out tho, but its not separate.

And he's right. Something was up with the EVO. It shoulda posted higher numbers on Quadrant.

Upvote 0
I'm going to stick with my incredible bc I like it. I too have a problem when it comes to " I gotta have the newest stuff" it really takes a toll you the bank account lol. I'm not going to switch tell a good front facing camera phone comes to verizon, and more people have front facing camera phones. I don't like having these amazing apps like latitude and not being able to use it bc no ones i know has an android phone

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Honestly too much of a hassel for a phone that is only slightly better. The only thing that I really would like is the HDMI out , I would use this regularly. I also kinda like the size haven't actually played with one but have played with the EVO and thought the size was very nice.
But I have already purchused extended batteries, cases and hopefully will have my phone rooted today . Too much work to change it all out, plus I LOVE MY INCREDIBLE. I will wait for LTE and a front facing camera (used facetime on a friends Iphone and it was awesome, hoping Androids won't be so limited WiFi and Iphone Only LAME)

Upvote 0
Threads like this always get my attention as they are prime for getting personal. I checked out some of the posts from yesterday and they got personal. That's not allowed. Read the zero tolerance guideline. Thanks.

Steven

PS: Keep it on the topic of the phones and there'll be no problem.

Upvote 0
I wouldn't even consider trading mine in for the X because it is not a 4g phone. My next phone will be a 4g phone, and I'm not talking about the 3g plus speeds that sprint has out and calling it 4g. I can not see any reason why anyone that owns an incredible would ever trade it in for another 3g phone.

Upvote 0
I almost got the incredible, but then I heard about the X while researching the inc and decided to wait for more info. I've pretty much decided to hold off on the inc though. I still think its a great phone, but since I waited this long I figure I might as well just wait a few more days for the X. I love the huge screen and multimedia features of the X. I'm looking to replace a few of my gadgets, namely my iPod touch and maybe the NDS, with this phone, so I want something for movies, games, TV and music. I'm a girl, but I don't think the X's size will be a big issue for me since I always carry my phone in a bag.

But these are just my preferences. The X happens to be a great multimedia phone and I love the huge screen and battery life. But I could really be happy with either phone. I would have gotten the inc if it wasn't horribly back ordered. And I'm sure it would have been just as good.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones