• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
I hear the the Note is selling well espacially in other countries besides the States. My question to you guys is why do you guys want this thing. I am an proud owner of a Nexus but I actually wish it was smaller. When I first heard of the Note I thought it was a horrid idea with for a very very small niche of the world population. But I still had an hard time imagining why any one would want something that big, but yet smaller then the Kindle Fire.

I imagine that if I was the CEO of Samsung and someone came in with that idea I would either laugh him out of my office or just make it a limited edition.

So I am probably just going to read the replies and not respond cause I am not look for a debate. But why did you cats get so excited about this devices dimensions. What does this thing do that other more mobile phones and less mobile tablets do for you guys?

Each unto their own. For me it is a device that combines phone and tablet functionality. It IS small enough to fit into a pocket - that's where mine is at the moment. Maybe it does a look a little odd when using it as a phone, but I don't care. Phones used to be a lot larger than this! I also got a Bluetooth earpiece thrown in (my old one is falling to bits) so I may well be using that a lot :). On top of that there is the S Pen feature. I will definitely be using that a lot, just like I used to with the second last phone I had, which was a Windows CE HTC Tytn II. The Note also has a great all-round spec. too. I nearly went for a HTC One X, but so far I have no regrets with the Note.

Ian

Upvote 0
I didn't wet my pants with excitement about it. I just looked about and this was the one that fit the bill more than any other. It was one of the fastest at the time and the dimensions were just right.

A tablet for me is just too big but I often use it for remoting into computers for support for example. The phone fits snugly into my shirt pocket and I do calls over bluetooth so do not need to hold it up to my ear. Admittedly it pokes out of the pocket a tad but I also found this to be an advantage when my bulb blew. I used the camera LED as a torch hands free with it in my pocket.

Basically it fits my needs perfectly and that's all there is to it.

Upvote 0
I didn't want two devices, a tablet and a phone. In some ways I actually use my laptop less since I can do so much more on my note and Android in general (vs. IPhone). I can read longer and even play console level games with comfort using onlive and a PS3 controller. Once it gets ICS, I think it will be even more awesome.

Upvote 0
I can't retire the laptop yet - being a webmaster and sysop for several forums I have dozens of email accounts and I need the power and flexibility of full fat software like Photoshop and Lightroom, amongst other things. But I can now see myself leaving the laptop at home more often now I have the Note. The larger screen and extra resolution makes web browsing much more practical. And if I attend a press conference I can scribble notes and even take pictures of new products using the Note rather than lugging my laptop and, possibly, bringing a 'proper' camera. Next time go to a camera launch I will try the Note out on the 'hands-on' product photography. I do have an 8 inch Archos 80 G9 ICS tablet, but that is really my wife's (although I am tech support!) and so the Note doubles as my personal tablet as well.

Ian

Upvote 0
The Note is extremely well designed with balance between phone and tablet and pen device. You can actually use it as a real phone, even for a very busy workday, carry it with you and still handle it with one hand. You can also read full page PDF documents on it and browse much more efficiently that on those miniature screens I have tried before. Finally you can make handdrawn notes, draw drawings, paint and scribble on your photos using the s-pen.

Upvote 0
So I guess you guys look at it more like a Pocket sized tablet then a giant phone.

The only thing about this I find slightly depressing is that it seems like the market is aiming towards bigger phones and that probably means all the top of the line phones will be at least as big as the Nexus or Razr.

But how is the Battery life and are all you people like taller then 6'5? lol

Upvote 0
But how is the Battery life and are all you people like taller then 6'5? lol

Battery life is good as my old Nextel Moto that cost me as much as the note back in the day just to put into perspective. And i'm only 6'1 so you don't have to be a Basketball Superstar to rock a Note. You may want to actually take note of the constant complaints and petitions by people on other carriers who crave the note. I guarantee if they had launched the Note across all carriers the sales would have exceeded 10 million in the US alone.

When laptops started shrinking down to Netbooks people thought it was great until they became so small the functionality started to lack. The same for phones they got smaller and smaller to the point where a phone could never provide the functionality of a tablet. So the modern day tablet was born and everyone flocked to buy what is basically a touch screen Netbook without a cover. Then smaller but not so usable tablets came along because not everyone could afford a full size tab and some just felt they were to large.

Eventually some brilliant person at Samsung took notice and realized how popular Kindles and Nooks were becoming. So he pitched the idea of smaller tabs to which someone probably argued that it would be a hard sell as so many already have small tabs. So they came up with another idea of adding calling functionality and decided to brand it as a smartphone which turned out to be a really smart idea.

Upvote 0
I travel a lot and I spend that time reading, so I wanted the biggest screen available, that's the reason I got the note, and it looks better than the galaxy s2.

But now ...the one x looks better, it's thinner and I feel it's a better phone, I wish Samsung will change the rectangular block design when they release the next note. Otherwise I would probably stick with this one for ever.

Once you go note.you don't go back !!!

Upvote 0
I've always, since I was a child in the 80's, wanted an all in one gadget that I can do everything with. Even with the Evo it wasn't quite it because of the screen size. Now I can do all of my music, drawing, comic book reading, internetting and whatever else I can think of on one device. It's exactly what I've always wanted. Once we get ICS w/ NFC I'll not even need a wallet anymore. Maybe eventually I can get the NFC to open my car as well. We'll see.

Upvote 0
I'm wondering who in the world would NOT want a phone the size of the Note! If you use your phone more as a gadget than a phone, then bigger is definitely better. It's really a little computer that is also a phone. Obviously, it's quite big for a phone, as it doesn't need to be so big... but it's just perfect as a do-it-all gadget/mini computer. My wife still has an iPhone, and when I pick it up it just feels laughably small. I don't know how one could go back to such a small phone if you like to use it for apps, web, reading, etc. When I first heard about the note, I knew I "had" to get it. No other phone on the market tempts me as much as the Note, and nothing will until the Note 2.0, or something similar arrives. But I assume Samsung has a patent on the pressure sensitive s-pen technology, so I don't think anything better will come along from an other manufacturer for a while. :)

Upvote 0
I'm average height, 5'10...fits in my hand pretty good and in my back pocket. It feels.lighter than an IPhone with a case,only because it's pretty balanced. I find ginger bread really buggy but I got rid of all the junk by rooting the phone. IPhone users laugh at me but I find that they generally consume and push out more social media content via photos, twitter, facebook etc compared to android users I know including myself. When I was on an iPhone I was constantly updating everything, but less so on the note because I am reading way more and tweaking my phone all the time or getting my work done. It's really not that big, it's just that everything out there is super tiny.

Upvote 0
I've always, since I was a child in the 80's, wanted an all in one gadget that I can do everything with. Even with the Evo it wasn't quite it because of the screen size. Now I can do all of my music, drawing, comic book reading, internetting and whatever else I can think of on one device. It's exactly what I've always wanted. Once we get ICS w/ NFC I'll not even need a wallet anymore. Maybe eventually I can get the NFC to open my car as well. We'll see.

second this

Upvote 0
I'm wondering who in the world would NOT want a phone the size of the Note! If you use your phone more as a gadget than a phone, then bigger is definitely better. It's really a little computer that is also a phone. Obviously, it's quite big for a phone, as it doesn't need to be so big... but it's just perfect as a do-it-all gadget/mini computer. My wife still has an iPhone, and when I pick it up it just feels laughably small. I don't know how one could go back to such a small phone if you like to use it for apps, web, reading, etc. When I first heard about the note, I knew I "had" to get it. No other phone on the market tempts me as much as the Note, and nothing will until the Note 2.0, or something similar arrives. But I assume Samsung has a patent on the pressure sensitive s-pen technology, so I don't think anything better will come along from an other manufacturer for a while. :)

Agree. I dont think of it as a phone. Probably phoning is about 2% of my use, if that.

All these modern super-phones are more than "phones": in fact the industry would do well to move away from calling them phones at all. They're mini computers with phone as an option. Time for a shift in marketing methinks. Thanks to the note, we seem to be seeing this.

Actually the flip cover i have for the note goes a long way to change the perception. It actually looks like a notebook now.

In fact it could be a little larger even, 5.7 or even 6inch screen, if it was still, just pocketable, it would be fine. Its a good size for the capabilities. I really fancied an "OQO" device back in the mid2000's, & this reminds me of that.

We live in a fantastic time for gadget-mungers like me ;-)

Upvote 0
i think there is now a market for an ultraportable windows device. a microlaptop, lol. the size of the note, or a fraction bigger for typing area, with a flip up screen and sensible keyboard. Plug in a mouse, or use built in trackball style mouse via full size usb, with an 80-160gb SSD Add a phone capability and camera on the back. PC-Phone. all under 1000usd. Instant hit. i would be very keen. Bloody mac will be out with it first. I cant stand the things ;-). I know this is pretty much what the OQO was, but that was then and this now.

Reactions: itsrijo
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones