1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Whyzor gingerbreak method

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by stelleri, Jan 14, 2014.

1. stelleri

stelleri Lurker
    None

Jan 10, 2014
    Had trouble, sure it's something easy. My phone is lg vm670v5, new screen.

Questions:
    1) in his simplified root how-to it says "Copy the GingerBreak.apk to a /sdcard dir, then using a 'file manager' app (search for one in Android Market) install it like a regular app." In the xda site it says "- The APK must be installed to device, NOT SD card". Which is correct?

2) do I extract the .zip then move it to phone/card, or move the .zip to phone/card then extract?

3) I've done it both ways using ES File Explorer and either way I can only "open" to see the code, not "install" it. And nothing happens.

4) I moved the files to phone/card via usb I've not formatted the card, I'm using it as is in the phone. USB Debugging is enabled.

5) Phone still works.

Thanks much, taking a break.

Advertisement

2. Rukbat

Rukbat Android Expert
    None

Jan 16, 2012
    Male
    Being retired and writing Tasker tasks.
    Fayetteville, NC, USA
    It can be installed from the SD card. It has to be installed to the device. They both are.

If you downloaded a zip file of the apk, extract it. It doesn't matter where. If you downloaded an apk file you don't extract anything, you use it as-s.

If you're talking about Chainfire's modification to Gingerbreak, that's the source. It has to be compiled. (At first glance, anyway - I didn't go into it too deeply. But Chainfire monitors the XDA thread, so ask him.)

stelleri likes this.
  3. stelleri

stelleri Lurker
    None

Jan 10, 2014
    Thanks for the reply. It is Chainfire's modification; I noticed it also mentions "works only if called from adb shell". That must be the problem, I haven't installed SDK yet but I'll try that. Thanks again.

4. tli

tli Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 25, 2011
    stelleri likes this.
  5. AndyOpie150

AndyOpie150 <strong> <a href="http://androidforums.com/optimus
    None

May 13, 2011
    Laborer (all the dirty nasty work nobody else want
    Florida
    The Gingerbreak.apk you need is in the second post of the XDA thread, not the first. It has to be downloaded to the phone from the phones browser. You have to disable any anti-virus app to download. You also need to check the "allow unknown sources" box in: menu/settings/applications.
    If the stock browser won't do the trick, try Dolphin Browser. Then move the zip out of the download folder and extract with ES File explorer. Tap it to bring up the install option. When done, select done and make sure you have the debugging box checked in: menu/settings/application/development.
    Go to app drawer and run app.
    Might take ten minutes. If it doesn't automatically reboot after ten minutes, pull battery and try again.
    Might take ten attempts (should gain root before 6 though).

6. stelleri

stelleri Lurker
    None

Jan 10, 2014
    tli-thanks very much. That helps. I didn't get to page 10 in that how-to.

7. stelleri

stelleri Lurker
    None

Jan 10, 2014
    AndyOpie-thanks to you too. I've read a lot of what you've written and like the detail in your post.

AndyOpie150 likes this.
Tags: