1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Wi-Fi Active for More Accurate Position Determination

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by edstewbob, Jan 5, 2012.

1. edstewbob

edstewbob Well-Known Member

I've seen it mentioned in lots of places that Wi-Fi should be active for more accurate position determination and am having a hard time understanding how an active Wi-Fi signal could improve GPS accuracy. I hope someone knows why and can help. I saw it mentioned again related to Smart Actions and every time I see it I wonder how this could be.

2. pm1066

pm1066 Android Enthusiast

It is useful for location because wifi routers will generally have a fixed location. So, when I connect to my home router, it knows I'm at home. It only gives a relative, not absolute, location. It doesn't do squat for gps.

3. trophynuts

trophynuts Extreme Android User

OP when you see that it is assuming you are in range and can connect to a wireless access point of some sort.

if your driving down the road in your car in the middle of nowhere it's not going to help.

4. edstewbob

edstewbob Well-Known Member

If I connect to my home Wi-Fi router any idea how the location of that device is known including the case when I am using Mobile Hotspot? BTW I have always received a good GPS lock from inside my house on phones going back to my 1st Blackberry Pearl.

5. Szadzik

Szadzik Extreme Android User

It knows because your ISP publishes that information on its link.

Motorola Droid RAZR Forum

Features and specs are not yet known.

unknown
Release Date
Reviews