1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Wi-Fi and charging issues after minor fall

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Waise, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Waise

Waise Lurker
    None

May 14, 2011
    I'm not really sure if it is really the case, but I have some problems using my phone since I dropped it. Height was around 1m. There is no mechanical damage on the outside. Here are the symptoms:

WiFi:

I can't connect to any Wi-Fi network. I can see the available networks. When I choose one of them and enter the password, it's "obtaining the IP address". After a while I get a message, that the "Network is disconnected. Weak signal."

Here is the prtscn (sorry that it's not in english :p)
    http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/9674/screenshot2013012313485.png

It's the same regardless of distance from router. I managed to connect once or twice in dozens of attempts, and it disconnected after a while. I tried to turn off the "wifi power save mode" in the *#0011# dial pad menu, of course with no effect.

My next problem is about charging the battery. Some days ago (after the said fall) I tried to charge the battery for whole night, and it only got from 0% to 12% (yes, it accidentally completly run out of energy. Could that also be the case?). I was on a trip in some low rate hotel, so it could also be the problem with electric outlet. However when I got back home the problem was still there. From 35% to 80% in 6 hours, when normally it took 2-3 hours to charge it full. I have a multimeter and I can make neccessery measurments of the voltage given by charger and battery, but I need an instruction which pins should I use :(

I run all the diagnostics available under the dial pads *#0*# but there is not much to find about my issues. Please, help :(

Advertisement

2. mygt8a4re

mygt8a4re Member
    None

Feb 1, 2011
    Bradenton, Fl
    In a case where I find odd actions that behave different from normal I do a process of elimination. Of course most of these would help to have additional items (or a friend with the same phone).
    I would power off the phone, remove the back cover, remove the battery and wait several minutes. Reinstall battery, reboot and then try charging. If the same senario occurs you can try a few things:
    Use another USB cord, use another battery, try charging from your computer....
    Also, you need to try another wifi network, one that is different from the one your getting your problems from. IE: work, a friends network, etc...
    Last but not least, you can always do a Factory Data Reset and hope for the best. At least if this doesnt work you can step to the next option:
    If all the same problems continue its time to either return the phone form where you purchased it or use that insurance you hopefully opted for....keep us posted!

3. Waise

Waise Lurker
    None

May 14, 2011
    Thanks for the answer. I knew I won't get the exact solution, because my problems are too general. Yet your post was very helpful.

I'm done with the wi-fi problem. I checked my recently updated aps, and one of them was dropbox. I uninstalled all the updates and now wi-fi is working fine. I should report it... :p

Also it looks like my battery starts to "get better". It recharges faster now. I have no idea how is this possible, but it looks like it was temporal behaviour. Hopefully those problems appearing just after I dropped my phone were just a coincidence.

I hope the wifi + dropbox solution will be useful for others.

FitzTML likes this.
  4. FitzTML

FitzTML Newbie
    None

Nov 30, 2012
    Male
    IT Manager
    Chicago area, USA
    I think this solution worked for me. The Wi-Fi would work great at home but at work I would connect, then when I went back to my phone it would show authentication error. Removed Dropbox and everything is fine now.

5. FitzTML

FitzTML Newbie
    None

Nov 30, 2012
    Male
    IT Manager
    Chicago area, USA
    Guess I spoke too soon, still have Wi-Fi issues at work. :(

6. Waise

Waise Lurker
    None

May 14, 2011
    Same here. The problem is 100% back. Can't connect due to the autorization error. I completely turned off dropbox, power save mode, sleep mode and so on, and still I cant connect to any wifi network. Any advice? :(