• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Wi-Fi and your Battery

mattbe213

Android Enthusiast
Dec 7, 2010
Missouri
Ok, so contrary to the beliefs of many people, Wi-Fi IS good for your battery. But this is only true when you do two things: one being that you turn on Wi-Fi. And two being that you TURN OFF data!!! Using Wi-Fi is useless if you don't turn off data. To turn off data, go to the wireless settings and click on Mobile Network and make sure that it is off.

This will ensure that the phone won't be searching for a data connection even though you are connected to Wi-Fi. Anytime you are home and you have Wi-Fi, use it. When you use Wi-Fi on your device, you are saving battery because the phone won't constantly be searching for a signal, but holding onto a stable connection. You don't need to turn it off when it isn't in use, just leave it on. But please try to remember to turn off Wi-Fi when you leave your house, or the phone will begin to search for a Wi-Fi connection, which will, in-turn, deteriorate your battery.

Hope this cleared up any questions about using Wi-Fi with a cell phone,

Matt

Reactions: Edge1978
Ok, so contrary to the beliefs of many people, Wi-Fi IS good for your battery. But this is only true when you do two things: one being that you turn on Wi-Fi. And two being that you TURN OFF data!!! Using Wi-Fi is useless if you don't turn off data. To turn off data, go to the wireless settings and click on Mobile Network and make sure that it is off.

This will ensure that the phone won't be searching for a data connection even though you are connected to Wi-Fi. Anytime you are home and you have Wi-Fi, use it. When you use Wi-Fi on your device, you are saving battery because the phone won't constantly be searching for a signal, but holding onto a stable connection. You don't need to turn it off when it isn't in use, just leave it on. But please try to remember to turn off Wi-Fi when you leave your house, or the phone will begin to search for a Wi-Fi connection, which will, in-turn, deteriorate your battery.

Hope this cleared up any questions about using Wi-Fi with a cell phone,

Matt

I am not sure if this is necessary. Under the mobile network check box it says:

"Use phone for data connecion when wi-fi unavailable"

Meaning when wi-fi IS available..it does not use mobile phone for data...

As far as disabling wi-fi while on the road..there is a power widget for this that you can add right to one of the home screens...

Upvote 0
You are correct when WiFi is enabled data shutoff until WiFi is disabled then data connection search and connects, so IDK what the OP was talking about and where he heard WiFi was good for the battery as I never heard of it.

Matter of fact since radio signal under wifi is used in diff portion as not allocated in kernel it uses resource not directly related to the system itself. With that being said the connection if active will use resource as in power.

Some uses app's like JuiceDefender which will turn off data/wifi if screen is off or based on setup will push connection via wifi/data in given interval. But you don't need app's for that as you can simply have it disabled when screen is off and resync when you turn on the screen. I know this very well as I use 90% time wifi for my data.

SS110215BLStats.png

^ SS I just took now and posting it off phone via WiFi hell this is just stock battery LOL my Mugen Power didn't even come yet the stock size and that post to be 20% more better than stock. If you think thats efficient then wait till you see what I pull.

Reactions: AndreaCristiano
Upvote 0
OK. Just double checked anf allenfx is correct. However, I am still right when it comes to Wi-Fi being better for your battery than using at&t data! I have had good batter kife wwith Wi-First and the batteru widget can prove it. Please disregard the turning off of mobile network when you use Wi-Fi, but read the rest.

Matt

Upvote 0
OK. Just double checked anf allenfx is correct. However, I am still right when it comrs ti Wi-First being better for your battery than using at&t data! I have had good batter kife wwith Wi-First and the batteru widget can prove it. Please disregard the turning off of mobile network when you use Wi-Fi, but read the rest.

Matt

I agree. Using wi-fi is faster/uses less battery power than phone for data if available. I turn off Wi-fi when no wi-fi is in range but do not bother turning off data when using wi-fi (unless im going to be browsing for a LONG TIME and want to try and suck every ounce of juice out of this baby as i can)..lol

Bottom line its all screen killing battery anyway so AT VERY LEAST..install the brightness widget on a handy home screen and micro-manage that at least...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones