• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Wi-Fi calling and MMS

Make sure your APN is correct. Sometime back I had issues with MMS where it would only send over wifi but not cellular and I was able to fix it by editing the APN. You can look online for the latest T-Mobile APN and compare it with yours to make sure they match, and if not edit it accordingly. Look specifically at the "MMSC" setting.

Upvote 0
Make sure your APN is correct. Sometime back I had issues with MMS where it would only send over wifi but not cellular and I was able to fix it by editing the APN. You can look online for the latest T-Mobile APN and compare it with yours to make sure they match, and if not edit it accordingly. Look specifically at the "MMSC" setting.

Well, I have these apps called APN settings and APN updater that I thought were supposed to take care of that "stuff". Apprently they don't.
I found T-Mobile settings for android.on the web. They were very different from what I had.

I just tried an MMS with an image and it was received in 10 seconds or less.
I re-enabled Wi-Fi calling and sent another one. It is still "sending" after 2 minutes.
I disabled Wi-Fi calling and in a few seconds that message was received.
I sent another image with Wi-Fi calling disabled and it was received in 6 seconds.

Looks like I run with Wi-Fi calling disabled.

I don't know if the APN settings did anything.

Upvote 0
Interesting, guess it wasn't the APN but that was worth trying.
Does it happen only on your home wifi or others as well? If only at home you might have an issue with port blocking which could be an ISP thing. You could try the suggestion above to reboot your router and see if that makes any difference, if it doesn't maybe see if there are any ports you need to forward (shouldn't be but you never know) or ask your ISP if they are blocking anything. If it's happening outside your home network as well then forget about all that.

Upvote 0
Oops, slap my forehead. I didn't reboot the phone. Maybe it needs that for the new APN settings.
I did the reset, re-enabled Wi-Fi Calling. Sent an MMS with an image. That was over 8 minutes ago. It is still "sending".

No more Wi-Fi calling for me.

I disabled it again and that message that was "sending" was received within 60 seconds.

I repeat: No more Wi-Fi calling for me.

Thanks.
Pete

Upvote 0
Interesting, guess it wasn't the APN but that was worth trying.
Does it happen only on your home wifi or others as well? If only at home you might have an issue with port blocking which could be an ISP thing. You could try the suggestion above to reboot your router and see if that makes any difference, if it doesn't maybe see if there are any ports you need to forward (shouldn't be but you never know) or ask your ISP if they are blocking anything. If it's happening outside your home network as well then forget about all that.

I suppose I should but I have wasted enough time on this.

Thanks

Upvote 0
I think the point of WiFi calling is to be able to call/text when you're in a no-signal area but have WiFi access (like when I'm at work--no service with Verizon, one bar if you're lucky with AT&T, T-Mobile or Sprint? May God have mercy on your soul!). Unfortunately, while I could receive texts fine over it, sending was broken. I could send fine at least it appeared to send, but the recipient never received the message. It'd send instantly, not the usual delay I'd expect with SMS/MMS. They just never got the message--it showed as sent on my phone, but it just went into the ether.

Calling seemed to work fine though, but SMS is my primary communication method; like AOL Messenger before it.

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
Something to keep in mind is when MMS is involved it often requires mobile data (cellular).
MMS is a very dated protocol that came about when phone service was more limited. WiFi Calling uses broadband connectivity, not cellular connectivity, so depending on a complicated mix of T-Mobile (your carrier) and the recipient's carrier, the text messaging app you're using, and your ISP it's not out of the ordinary for MMS messages not being transferred when you have WiFi Calling enabled -- when both WiFi and mobile data enabled, by default your phone uses WiFi connectivity as a priority over mobile data, so when you disable WiFi Calling, even when WiFi is still enabled, that simply changes your text messaging conduit back to cellular connectivity.

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones