• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Wi-Fi Calling (UMA)

wolfftw

Lurker
Dec 13, 2009
According to Behold 2 user manual, sounds as though UMA should be supported:

"Once set up for Wi-Fi connectivity, your phone automatically uses Wi-Fi, when available, for all your mobile phone
services."

Unfortunately, I can do everything EXCEPT make and receive calls. When placing a call, error is "Not registered to the network."

It's not a router issue, because I have a Blackberry Bold 9700 for which UMA works seamlessly.

Does anyone have this working on the Behold 2? Am I missing some obscure set-up option to make UMA work?

Unfortunately this is not a functionality that would be enabled with an OS update. It is a physical limitation of the phone. I am big fan of UMA as well but sadly T-Mobile is moving away from this technology as it was originally designed to help bridge the gap in coverage as their native network grew. Now that their 3G/EDGE network has greatly expanded UMA I fear is slowly going to fade away. They have already discontinued the $9.99 unlimited UMA calling plan.

Upvote 0
Someone seems to be actively working to introduce UMA support into Android, based on this job posting posted on September 23rd, 2009:

"Job Description Client is the key innovator and leading supplier of Unlicensed Mobile Access (“UMA”) technology, the 2G and 3G, 3GPP standard for extending mobile voice, data and IMS services over fixed IP access networks. The Company’s headquarters is located in Milpitas, CA. As the Key innovator of UMA, Client has been a significant participant and leader in the adoption of UMA as a global standard. The Company has 20 issued patents, 2 allowed and another 95 pending applications in the United States and worldwide including both essential and non-essential IPR. This is a Contract Software Engineer position within the Client engineering team. You will be responsible for providing expert technical advice and skills to develop the Android Radio Interface Layer (RIL) and Point to Point Protocol (PPP) driver components needed by Client’s Integrated GAN client. You will use your prior experience on Android’s base platform to accomplish these tasks. Duties of Position:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones