• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Wi-Fi connection problems

Rob1968

Lurker
Oct 5, 2010
Just got my Samsung Galaxy and I can't connect to my home network.
So I go into Wi-Fi settings on my phone, Turn on Wi-Fi, Select my Wi-Fi network, enter the WEP key and press connect.

Wi-Fi says it obtaining an ip address and then 'Unsuccessful'

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I've come across this forum and this thread in particular as I too have the same problem.

My device was connecting to my BT Home Hub fine every day since new a few weeks back. All of a sudden, at the weekend, it stopped connecting and hasn't connected since. It'll connect to the BT FON signal but won't actually allow me to download any pages when I then try.

I've tried 'forgetting' the settings and re-entering the key. I've also tried the rather drastic Factory Reset option, losing a lot of data as expected and, you guessed it, not fixing the issue!

Basically, my device finds the network, remembers the WEP key but rather than connect automatically like it used to, now won't connect at all. When I try to force it to connect, it says "obtaining ip address" and then tells me "connection failed". :mad:

Upvote 0
I had similar problems and all I did was to turn off the cable modem and router for 30 seconds to 1 min and then reconnect the cable modem first and wait for all the flashing lights to settle down and then reconnect the router and wait for the flashing lights to settle down and then connect the phone. works for me, hope it helps

Upvote 0
I don't think it is the router as every other wireless device connects to it including the wife's blackberry, 3 x separate Xbox 360s and the laptop. Of note is that the Galaxy detected a BT Openzone signal the other day, connected to it but then would give me error messages when trying to download/update anything. As soon as I turned the wireless off and it picked up a 3G signal again, I was able to browse freely. :thinking: I think therefore I've got to assume it is a problem with the phone itself.

Upvote 0
I had similar problems and all I did was to turn off the cable modem and router for 30 seconds to 1 min and then reconnect the cable modem first and wait for all the flashing lights to settle down and then reconnect the router and wait for the flashing lights to settle down and then connect the phone. works for me, hope it helps

this worked! i was so frustrated that i almost had tears in my eyes that my new phone wasn't connecting to the wifi ...and i've been up all night trying to figure this out, and I just made an account for this to thank you, good sir! haha soo...THANK YOu!!!!:D:D:D

Upvote 0
Hi guys.
I'm not sure if anyone is still having this wifi problem with their Samsung Galaxy S, but it happened to me the other night. I'd done nothing out of the ordinary, turned off my phone at night and back on in the morning, tried to connect to the internet only to find my home hub was doing some flashy light crap (it LOVES doing that, those of you with a home hub will understand). Since then I've been unable to connect via wifi; phone stating it's obtaining the Ip address when it obviously isn't. So after doing all of the above switching channels, WPAs etc and even the dreaded factory reset (lost so much lol) it still wasn't working.

As a stroke of genius (total desperation) I randomly tried deleting my device off my home hub memory via the homehub manager and reconnecting and what do you know it's actually worked!

I have a feeling my home hub attempted to send my phone new data but my phone was just confused and continued to try and connect using the old settings.

Fingers crossed it's solved it.

Hopes this helps :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones