• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

WI-FI Connection speed drops using 5G

JimW59

Lurker
Jun 24, 2017
I just got a new router from Verizon that is 5G capable. At my old 2.4 connection I am getting around 30 Mbps DL and 27 Mbps UL speeds. When I switch to my 5G it drops down to ~ 10 DL and 8 UL. It am connected to CH 149 with a SS of ~ -80. What would cause such a drop in speed on a supposedly faster connection?

most likely signal strength is not high enough to over-ride interference;
which can be causing signal distortion from competing WiFi signals in your area.

also, there may be an appliance that is radiating signals in that spectrum.

You need to use a Spectrum Analyzer to sniff the "air" and look for competing signals.

https://play.google.com/store/search?q=spectrum analyzer wifi&c=apps

Reactions: kate and tommo47
Upvote 0
I just got a new router from Verizon that is 5G capable. At my old 2.4 connection I am getting around 30 Mbps DL and 27 Mbps UL speeds. When I switch to my 5G it drops down to ~ 10 DL and 8 UL. It am connected to CH 149 with a SS of ~ -80. What would cause such a drop in speed on a supposedly faster connection?

I think @AZgl1500 is probably right, the attenuation of the 5GHz band is considerably higher than the 2.4GHz band.

Depending on the distance from the hub and the construction materials of walls/ceilings etc. the attenuation at 5GHz can easily outweigh the benefits of higher speed capability and less interference as compared to 2.4 GHz.

Reactions: kate
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones