• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Wi-fi issues with Android Market

I have searched for an answer to my problem but nobody seems to have an answer.

I can connect to the web on my home wifi, I can connect to to google talk, gmail ect. I can connect and search Android Market BUT I can't download an app I just get the message "Download was Unsusccessful" It seems almost like my firewall is blocking app downloads so I searched for the Android MArket Port info and found that it uses UDP and TCP 5228, I opened these on my firewall and get the same error.

After some more searching I found this solution to clear cache

SETTINGS > APPLICATIONS > MANAGE APPLICATIONS

Once in manage applications, click the menu button and select filter and filter by all.

Now delete the data AND cache for the following applications (if you only get the option to delete one or the other, then do what is available):

Download Manager
Google Apps
Google Talk Service
Google Talk Storage
Internet
Market
Talk

I have tried this and still I have the same error on an atempted download.

Is there another port to open on the firewall or is there another solution please help.

I must point out that on my mobile connection I am having no problems.

I have solved my own problem so I thought I would share it just incase someone else has a similar problem.

Home Setup

ClearOS Firewall/gateway solution
Linksys Wrt54 wifi router Connected to ClearOS by a Switch.

I have modified the IPtable using this command

Code:
iptables -t nat -I PREROUTING -i eth1 -p tcp -m mac --mac-source A1:B2:C3:D4:E5:F6 --dport 80 -j ACCEPT
A1:B2:C3:D4:E5:F6 Being the MAC address of Phone

This allowed me to connect in all situations EXCEPT Android Market

After a little more investigation I found out that the "Content Filter" was the problem By switching the Proxy to Transparent mode downloads are working.

Upvote 0
OK first of I am by no means an expert on Android.

My first question is on wifi can you browse the internet, youtube ect?

If so what is your home wifi setup i.e. what wifi router do you have? what encryption are you using?

With out telling me this the first thing I would try is the cache

click on the left hand button on the home screen

SETTINGS > APPLICATIONS > MANAGE APPLICATIONS

Once in manage applications, click the menu button and select filter and filter by all.

Now delete the data AND cache for the following applications (if you only get the option to delete one or the other, then do what is available):

Download Manager
Google Apps
Google Talk Service
Google Talk Storage
Internet
Market
Talk

Try this and let me know

Upvote 0
I work for Bell Canada, and sold the unit to a customer. (Proud owner of one). The customer came back the next day saying he was not able to download any apps. I've tried downloading some apps with the same error above, and suddenly I asked the customer if he had registered his gmail account with the android market. He shook his head and I had to totally wipe his phone. We tried clicking the market, and suddenly there was a pop-up for the customer to register. After registering, it was entirely fine. Hope this helps!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones