• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help wi-fi not working properly?

Atlas912

Apr 8, 2010
It seems as though my droid x has a hard time with the wi-fi connection. I turn it on and the wi-fi signal comes up but i am getting horrible speeds. my ping is anywhere from 300 to 900 (Horrible) and then my download speed is 1400kbps or so. and the upload is around 1500 kbps or so. I have tried atleast a dozen tests. The speeds almost seem like 3g speeds. is it becuase the 3g isnt being turned off when the wifi is on and that is what i really am testing? please any advice would be great, i really like this phone but if my internet connection is going to be like this I don't think i can handle it.

It seems as though my droid x has a hard time with the wi-fi connection. I turn it on and the wi-fi signal comes up but i am getting horrible speeds. my ping is anywhere from 300 to 900 (Horrible) and then my download speed is 1400kbps or so. and the upload is around 1500 kbps or so. I have tried atleast a dozen tests. The speeds almost seem like 3g speeds. is it becuase the 3g isnt being turned off when the wifi is on and that is what i really am testing? please any advice would be great, i really like this phone but if my internet connection is going to be like this I don't think i can handle it.

Strange, have you tried rebooting? I don't really know how to troubleshoot your issue, could restart your router. If not you might want to try exchanging it, I haven't had any issues with mine like that.

Upvote 0
i have similar speed test results..however it doesn't really slow my browsing down honestly. It does irritate me a little that the up, down, and ping speeds are so crappy on wifi...i have a brand new Netgear wireless 150n router so i know its not that.

i actually do get better speedtest results with wifi off but it is a mental thing, if i had never seen my test results then it wouldn't be an issue at all.

Upvote 0
i want to say it is not my router since my two laptops are working fine off it, i even reset it make sure. the speed/connection is strong. I actually tried standing next to the router with the droid x and the internet was dragging. I am evening having troubles downloading things off the android market. I am not getting a consitent 3g signal either. I wonder if there is any way to check?

Upvote 0
I have had the same issue. I have a Netgear WNDR3700 dual range router. I've searched high and low all over the internet looking for solutions and finally stumbled upon one for me that seems to be working.

Apparently (according to some folks in forums) the Droid X will not recognize the wireless N on 5 ghz. So that was disappointing. Then I discovered that "mixed mode" settings can cause sporadic disconnects with certain devices which the DX seems to be one of those. I initially had both of my wifi ranges, 2.4 ghz and 5 ghz, set to "up to 300 mbps" as the mode. After much testing, I changed the 2.4 ghz mode to "up to 54 mbps" and my connection to that SSID seems to be working normally. I have comcast and my download speedtests are between 8-11 mbps now.

Fingers crossed that my settings are stable now and I won't have any more issues. I just fixed this last night and had a couple of hours with no problems. Normally the problem would come along after just a few minutes or so.

(I also used an app called wifi fixer prior to changing my router settings. It helps hold the signal longer and has a widget to reconnect which was easier than the reboots I was having to do. It's not a fix, just a band-aid that may help some.)

Reactions: Davoo
Upvote 0
  • Up to 54 Mbps. Legacy Mode, with a maximum speed of up to 54 Mbps for b/g networks.
  • Up to 65 Mbps. Neighbor-Friendly Mode, with a speed of up to 65 Mbps in the presence of neighboring wireless networks.
  • Up to 150 Mbps. Performance Mode, with a maximum Wireless-N speed of up to 150 Mbps.
The default is Up to 150 Mbps, which allows all 11b and 11g and 11n wireless stations.

that is the selections on my router. referring to what AubieJones was speaking of. I just put mine on "up to 65" and i just got much much better results on speed test.

Upvote 0
  • Up to 54 Mbps. Legacy Mode, with a maximum speed of up to 54 Mbps for b/g networks.
  • Up to 65 Mbps. Neighbor-Friendly Mode, with a speed of up to 65 Mbps in the presence of neighboring wireless networks.
  • Up to 150 Mbps. Performance Mode, with a maximum Wireless-N speed of up to 150 Mbps.
The default is Up to 150 Mbps, which allows all 11b and 11g and 11n wireless stations.

that is the selections on my router. referring to what AubieJones was speaking of. I just put mine on "up to 65" and i just got much much better results on speed test.

Awesome, I'm glad it worked for you. Mine is still working as well.

Upvote 0
.... I have a Netgear WNDR3700 dual range router.

.... I initially had both of my wifi ranges, 2.4 ghz and 5 ghz, set to "up to 300 mbps" as the mode. ...

I have the same router. I have had no issues with the 2.4 ghz setting at "up to 130 mbps". I have the 5 ghz set to "up to 300 mbps" but since the Droid X can't see that band it makes no difference.

Based on your experience I think I will not be changing the 2.4 ghz setting to 300 mbps any time soon.

Upvote 0
I have a Netgear MIMO router (so no n option) and still have garbage reception on my X. Signal strength hovers around poor to fair and is unusable compared to the 3g. Is there a fix coming from Motorola so we are able to have all features for this phone? Also, are you guys asking all public wifi spots you use to please change their settings so your phone can perform correctly? Sarcasm on that last one.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones