• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Wi-Fi off then on?

Matrix3922

Lurker
May 26, 2022
UK
Can anyone help with this problem?

When I am at home on my Wi-Fi and I try to open a website or send a WhatsApp message on my Samsung Galaxy S10 phone the message will not send or I cannot connect to a website until I switch off Wi-Fi in my Quick Panel and then switch it on again. As soon as I do that the WhatsApp message sends or the website comes up.

I am running Android 12 with One UI version 4.1. The phone is NOT nor has it ever been rooted so it is not something that I have done to it.

It seems as though the internet is disconnected until I switch the Wi-Fi off and then on again in the Quick Panel. There is probably a setting somewhere that is doing this but I just cannot figure it out. Can anyone help please?

Last edited:
Well just so you're 'working on a clean slate' you should restart both your S10 phone and your router. This resets both devices, especially regarding the networking functionality aspects. If this quirky problem is still occurring after the restarts than at least you know it's not just some one-off glitch and it's something that needs to be looked into. And if you're thinking that you have a bunch of other devices connected to your router and none of them are having a problem, keep in mind it's a problem with your either your phone or its connection to your home network's WiFi that you need to focus on.

This also brings up the question of is this a long-standing problem or something that just started to occur recently?

Also, what kind of router do you have? An ISP-supplied modem/router unit or do you have your own separate router?

While this 'could' be a WiFi connectivity issue, it does appear to be more likely something that just needs to tweaked on your S10. Have you tried going into the Settings menu, deleting your home WiFi entry, and then adding it back again?
In the little WiFi icon in the upper Status Bar, is it showing that your phone is connected with a strong signal? If you need a more expansive indicator, try installing this 'WiFi Analyzer (open source)' app:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.vrem.wifianalyzer&hl=en_US&gl=US
It's a neat little utility that can show you more details on WiFi signal strength for 2.4GHz, 5GHz, and the newer 6GHz band networks.

Upvote 0
I did find a setting called "Data Saver" which I disabled and that seemed to resolve the issue but it is back. Every time I change something it seems to be cured but then comes back.

It has been happening for a few weeks now. At first I thought it was just the Internet but I have a Samknows white box which confirms 175Mps Internet download speed and no disconnections of any note.

The Wi-Fi signal icon on my phone shows a strong signal and my WiFi analyser app shows a very strong signal from my router which is my own Netgear Nighthawk.

All this therefore seems to point to my phone.

Thank you for your response and I will try all you suggest and if anything cures it I'll leave it a while to make sure it doesn't re-occur before I post an update.

Reactions: Antrel
Upvote 0
OK, since your router isn't likely to be a part of the problem I'd still strongly recommend you restart both your phone and your router if you haven't already done so recently.
But getting back to your S10, have you noticed this also happening when connected to a different WiFi network elsewhere? (i.e.at work or a friend's home). Or is it just with your home network?

Just something to narrow down what might be the source of this quirk, have you tried using mobile data (cellular) or is it just when using WiFi?
It is a curious thing for something like Data Saver to toggle itself back on again. Did this happen just once or repeatedly? That's a cellular connectivity function so not likely to be affecting WiFi but there could be an indirect system-networking tie-in that both WiFi and cellular connections have to rely upon.

When you check your phone's Settings menu, if you tap on the WiFi menu and then tap on the WiFi network you're connected to, is there something like an Auto-connect option? If so, is it enabled or disabled? Try toggling it back off and then on again, perhaps that might reset some kind glitch.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
I did find a setting called "Data Saver" which I disabled and that seemed to resolve the issue but it is back. Every time I change something it seems to be cured but then comes back.

It has been happening for a few weeks now. At first I thought it was just the Internet but I have a Samknows white box which confirms 175Mps Internet download speed and no disconnections of any note.

The Wi-Fi signal icon on my phone shows a strong signal and my WiFi analyser app shows a very strong signal from my router which is my own Netgear Nighthawk.

All this therefore seems to point to my phone.

Thank you for your response and I will try all you suggest and if anything cures it I'll leave it a while to make sure it doesn't re-occur before I post an update.
I also had a similar problem and your advice helped me. I disabled the traffic limit that was set by default on my phone. But there are problematic sites, so it is better to check the quality of the Internet on several sites. Or use the hosttracker page load speed monitoring tool to rule out or confirm a site problem. Sometimes I reset the router to factory settings.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones