• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Wi-Fi problem - Won't Reconnect To Power-cycled Hotspot While Still Asleep

GTab4

Lurker
Nov 4, 2015
I have the 'Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep' option set to Always and that seems to work fine most of the time, but I'm having an issue which I have yet to read about.

My problem is this: The Tab 4 is in sleep mode and staying actively connected to my Wi-Fi hotspot as it should (I can still hear notification sounds) but when I go out of range and come back near it or if the hotspot turns off and back on again, then the Tab will not automatically reestablish the connection until I turn its screen back on.

Is this normal or should it actively try to reconnect with the hotspot once it is back in range or the hotspot's power is turned back on while the Tab's still asleep?

The connection can remain active as long as there is no disruption but the functionality to reconnect if a disconnection occurs while it is sleeping fails. It can't renegotiate while it's asleep. I hope I have reiterated this issue enough times to quell any future confusion. ;) Excuse the verbosity.

Might some kind of 'keep WiFi alive' app solve this? I've yet to try any and was hoping to figure out a way to solve this without an app.

Your assistance will be appreciated.

Edit #1:

Now it seems that it will not automatically find and reconnect to the hotspot just by simply waking it up after a long period of time when the aforementioned scenario takes place. I left the Tab on for at least 6 hours in sleep mode and turned off the wifi hotspot.

This time I woke up the Tab to the home screen before turning the hotspot back on. It failed to reconnect on its own... Once I went into the settings / network connections, only then it began to immediately scan for the signal, found it, and reconnected automatically without any other action on my part.

Edit #2:

Now it seems that even when I have the Tab awake and on the home screen, I can power cycle the hotspot and the Tab will not automatically reconnect until I go into the network connection settings. When that settings screen is called up it triggers the auto-scanning and that's when it connects back to the network. I swear I did not have to do this extra 'step' in previous days. I have not installed any apps in the past several days, especially ones which should affect the Wi-Fi. I've gone through the settings on all apps I have and none of them are programmed to interfere as far as I know.

Last edited:

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones