1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Wi-Fi Sleep Issue

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by JohnnyT, Apr 6, 2011.

1. JohnnyT

JohnnyT Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 23, 2010
    Male
    NJ
    Before I start, I have the Wi-Fi Sleep Policy set to Never. Here are the steps I followed for my test.
    1. Turned on Wi-Fi to DInc and connected to home router.
    2. Found out that the IP address assigned to my DInc was, 192. 168.1.4
    3. With DInc screen still on, I went on my computer and pinged the DInc's IP. It came back successful, no packets lost.

3a. With Dinc screen off (Wi-Fi still connected), I went to the computer and pinged the DInc's IP. It came back as "Request Timed Out."

3b. With DInc screen back on (Wi-Fi still connected, and simply on lockscreen), went to the computer and pinged DInc's IP. Successful, no packets lost.

Just for giggles, I set the Wi-Fi Sleep Policy to Never When Plugged In. Plugged charger into phone. Repeated all the steps above, and each time it came back successful, whether the screen was on or off. That policy seemed to work. Set Sleep Policy back to Never, and same result...successful when screen was on, but timed out when screen was off.

This is driving me crazy! It can't be the router, since data comes in as soon as the phone is awake. When connected to 3G, data will come in whether the phone is awake or asleep. And, I don't have any Task Killers installed. If you can't help, please suggest I try something...anything...please!

Advertisement

2. drdoom

drdoom Android Expert
    None

Apr 8, 2010
    College Student
    North Carolina
    Why can't you just leave it on never when plugged in?

3. JohnnyT

None

Mar 23, 2010
    Male
    NJ
    Because the only way for me to receive e-mails or Google Chat messages or Google texts (while connected to Wi-Fi) will be to keep my phone plugged in. When I answer a text, I will then unplug, type and send the message, and have to re-plug so that when the phone goes back to sleep I can receive additional data. That could eventually make the connector on the phone very loose and I also heard that it shortens the life of batteries to remain charging.

I realize that I am being a pain about this, but the main point is that I would like the phone to work as it was intended and as it was stated. I was also hoping that I wasn't the only one to have this issue. I know that Nexus One users have had the same issue, but that doesn't really help me. I figured that maybe I just overlooked something and the smarter and more experienced folks here could point me in the right direction.

4. drdoom

drdoom Android Expert
    None

Apr 8, 2010
    College Student
    North Carolina
    I just followed the testing methods you used on every sleep profile and even when it was set to sleep with the screen off, I could still ping my phone while the screen was off and unplugged. I noticed that the first packet has about a 2 second delay before I receive a reply. Are you running a non standard ROM by any chance?

This is going to sound really dumb, but after changing the policy to never, hit menu and click save if you haven't been doing that.

5. JohnnyT

None

Mar 23, 2010
    Male
    NJ
    I am running Incredibly Re-Engineered 2.3.2. Though this was an issue even before I rooted. I probably should have sent the phone back and gotten a new one when I first learned of it, but it was my first Android device and I didn't know about it so I just figured that I did something wrong. Either way, that boat has sailed, so I'm left with dealing with this issue now.

And there will be no dumb suggestions. There could be something that I just missed. I have tried to set it to Never and then hit menu and saved the setting. I think this issue in embedded in the coding of a file somewhere. But I don't know what file and I don't know how to change it. FML!!

6. drdoom

drdoom Android Expert
    None

Apr 8, 2010
    College Student
    North Carolina
    Can you flash CM7 or a totally different non-sense based ROM to your phone and see if that fixes it? Also, you can unroot and send it back; the phone hasn't been out for a year yet, and it is obviously not user error causing it.

7. JohnnyT

None

Mar 23, 2010
    Male
    NJ
    I tried CM6 and it didn't correct the error and I tried MIUI, same thing. However, I downloaded Wifi Fixer from the Marketplace and it seemed to have fixed the problem! Still waiting to see how it affects the battery life though.

Thanks for your help drdoom! Very much appreciated.

8. drdoom

drdoom Android Expert
    None

Apr 8, 2010
    College Student
    North Carolina
    No problem; I wish I could have helped you find a better solution. You'd think Google would have addressed this because of the volume of N1/Nexus S users complaining about it.

9. JohnnyT

None

Mar 23, 2010
    Male
    NJ
    Believe it or not I upgraded to an Incredible 2 and the same problem occurs. BUT, there is an additional option that has, "Best Wifi Performance" that you can check and turn on. That fixes the problem! But it absolutely kills the battery. This only occurs in Sense.

Of course I have rooted the DInc 2 and put CM7.2. Problem back! I'm a genius!

sdrawkcab25 likes this.