• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Wi-Fi switch won't turn on, automatically turns off

Hello everyone, I'm not only new here but I'm also still grasping Android OS. I recently bought a rather obscure and generic brand of a tablet, it's an Irulu 7'' Multi-Capacitive Android 4.03, and yes, I bought it because of the price, it's an entry tablet (and perhaps the problem resides in that). At first I was able to create an account for Gmail and even install some apps, but in the course of a week, the signal would suddenly drop to almost none, and then I would get the message "Not in range" even though I was almost a couple of steps from the modem and all other devices (phones, pc, laptop, other people tablets) were connected at full signal.

Then, the switch for Wi-Fi in Settings would simply turn off itself and the message "Turning Wi-Fi on.." appeared at the right side of the screen where the wifi signals list go. Sometimes I can even connect for a brief period of time (1-5 mins) after switching to on several times, but the wi-fi switch eventually turns off again, or the signal reduces in a matter of seconds or the signal goes "Not in range".

I tried the factory reset of rule, even formatting the internal storage so I would start from 0, but this still goes on. Right now the main problem is that the switch won't even turn on, so I discard problems with my modem. As I said, this is a new tablet and it's not rooted or has any kind of modding. And like most of generic tablets, doesn't have some kind of OS update or update utility so it's just as I got it. I don't know if this is related to hardware (a faulty welding) or software (problems with the drivers?), so I'm not sure how to proceed. I post above some of the tablet specs. Also, if I'm in the wrong place in the forums (since this generic brand wasn't in the list, I posted here), and someone needs to move this post, please do so. I ask for suggestions, and if anyone had this or a similar issue before, should I just return it?, it needs to be reflashed?, I appreciate any advice, thanks.

CPU:
Allwinner A13 1.2 GHZ + GPU Mali 400 MP
Size: 7" TFT LCD(16:9 Screen) Capacitive Tablet PC TFT LCD
RAM: 512MB DDR3
Capacity: 4GB; Expandable by MicroSD to 32GB
Wi-Fi: Support WiFi (Built-in 802.11b/g WLAN Card), Support 3G (3G Dongle Not Included in Package)

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones