• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

WorldBuilder

Dec 15, 2009
Hi all,

So I'm reading that my precious R2D2 here will connect to a wireless network, such as the one in my house. Cool... So let's say I go home tonight, whip out R2, and configure him to connect to my WLAN. Here are my questions...

• Once configured, does connecting to it kill/suspend the regular VZW data connection?
  • If so, will that return if I disconnect from the W-Fi-or in another way get out of range of the it?
  • If not, how does the phone know when to use which connection?
  • In a nutshell... How does the phone handle multiple data connections, and what do I need to know to handle it?
Thanks!

Chris

I'm not an expert by any means, but I do exactly what you are describing. I use Locale to dedect when I am home. It will then turn on wifi and connect to my home network. 3G does get turned off, or at least the 3G icon doesn't show up any more. Then when I leave the house Locale turns off wifi and 3G automatically kicks in.

I found the spead to be quicker this way and some claim that it helps on battery. Since I was having a lot of issues with battery until yesterday I can't make any claims about that.

Upvote 0
I have used wireless a few times, and when I do the 3G icon is no longer there, rather the wireless network icon is. So I'm assuming that for data is transferred through your wireless. (webpages, marketplace, etc)

When I disconnect, the 3g icon reappears.

Idk if that will help or not, it's fairly straightforward all you have to do is connect to wireless or disconnect from wireless.

Upvote 0
Answers below in RED.

Here are my questions...

• Once configured, does connecting to it kill/suspend the regular VZW data connection? Yes.
  • If so, will that return if I disconnect from the W-Fi-or in another way get out of range of the it? Yes. Your 3G icon will reappear once the DROID loses it's wireless connection.
  • If not, how does the phone know when to use which connection? Your DROID will use the 3G connection until it finds a "remembered" wireless connection.
  • In a nutshell... How does the phone handle multiple data connections, and what do I need to know to handle it? You do nothing, the DROID will handle everything. Smart little guy. ;) Unless you need to put in a password if the wireless connection needs one.

Thanks! You're welcome. :)

Upvote 0
Got it, nice. OK, so what do these icons mean? Some are obvious, but indulge me... Do we all see the same thing? 5 icons...

Starting on the left, I assume this one is for Wi-Fi. On/Off. That simple?
To the right of that, Bluetooth. On/Off. Simple as that?
What's this one in the middle? 3G? I turned it off to test, but nothing seemed to happen...
The next one is sync, I believe... What's with that?
Finally, on the far right is brightness. Pretty basic.

Chris

Upvote 0
So if I understand this correctly I don't need locale to let Droid know when to connect to my home network? It will just know when I get home that it shoud connect?

As long as your wireless card is enabled, once you have a network setup, your DROID should automatically connect to it every time it sees it. When I go home, all I do is enable my wireless on the control widget, my 3G shuts off, and my WiFi connection is established.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones