1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General wi-if certificates

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by kerock, Apr 11, 2016.

1. kerock

kerock Lurker
    None

Apr 11, 2016
    Male
    When I go to wi-fi settings, I see "install certificates". The is a MAC address. What is that? How can i, or should I remove it? I've had problems with wi-fi

Advertisement

2. svim

svim Android Expert

Dec 19, 2013
    Illinois
    Web certificates are used by the browser to authenticate secure web sites. If you want to see the listing of certificates on your phone, go to Settings >> Security >> Trusted credentials. Normally you should just leave it as is but there could be a time when there is a site you visit that might require you to add a specific certificate (also referred to as a CA or Certificate Authority). And it doesn't happen a lot but there have been times when a CA is found to be a problem so if there's enough chatter about it online it might be safer to just uncheck it in that 'Trusted credentials' menu.
    https://www.us-cert.gov/ncas/tips/ST05-010

As for the MAC address, that's not a typical user-changeable item although in certain situations you can temporarily use a different MAC address (referred to as 'spoofing'). The Media Access Control identifier is in a loose way similar to an IP address, it identifies your phone with a unique 'name' that distinguishes it from other devices on a network. While an IP address is a variable that can change each time you connect to a different network, the MAC address is a fixed identifier on a lower level that's tied permanently to your phone's hardware.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAC_spoofing

3. kerock

kerock Lurker
    None

Apr 11, 2016
    Male
    Thanks svim. Is there a way I can private message you on here? I Need some help

4. svim

svim Android Expert

Dec 19, 2013
    Illinois
    If you're having a problem it's best to make a post about it. A great thing about Android Forums is all the collective knowledge that gets shared here. No one knows everything so whatever problem you're having has a much better chance at getting answered when lots of people are reading it.

5. kerock

kerock Lurker
    None

Apr 11, 2016
    Male
    Nevermind. I know how message boards work. I've been a regular on a few for years. If it was something I wanted to start a thread about, I would have.

#5 kerock, Apr 11, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2016

Samsung Galaxy S5

The Samsung Galaxy S5 was announced in 2014 and was the company's first flagship of the year. The device featured a 5.1-inch display with a resolution of 1920 x 1080, 2GB of RAM, 16GB of storage, and a 16MP primary rear camera.