• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[WIDGET] BITS - DIY widget with WYSIWYG editor needs testers

JackHarts

Lurker
May 16, 2011
I've been working on a widget for several months and I'm just about ready to release it on the Android Market, but I want to make sure it's ready.

If you're interested in giving a hand, I would appreciate some help.

The name of the widget is BITS, which stands for Bits Is The Stuff.

BITS is a home screen widget with a WYSIWYG editor that allows the user to add, remove and arrange bits of information on the widget face.

Currently the widget can show the following bits of information:
Date
Time
Location (from GPS or locked to specific one)
Moon Phase (graphic)
Sun or Moon Phase (graphic, sun during daylight, moon phase at night)
Sun or Moon Phase with Weather (same as above with weather conditions superimposed)
Temperature (in C

So far I can't even make the clock stay at the time format I created.
I've tried 3 times to change the clock from 09:00 to 9:00 am.
I also dedicated a screen for a 4 x 4 widget for testing different elements but none of them save when pressing Done.
I tried to put Clock, Sun & Moon, temp and battery on that 4 x 4 widget, pressed done and all it does is revert back to the clock, which again won't save on the format I chose.

Upvote 0
Wow. It sounds like nothing is getting saved at all. I never seen anything like it.

After you push done and go back to the home screen, if you go back to the configure screen are all of your changes still gone?

What version are you using? You can find the version number on the about screen.

Would you mind trying to uninstall and then install the latest version? The latest version is available on the market or on our website .

Hopefully re-installing will help. If not, let me know and I'll put some special debug code during saving so I can get an idea of what's happening.

In the meantime, try saving your layout to the sd card before you press done. Choose the "save" option off of the pop-up menu. This way, at least you won't have to recreate your layout each time.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones