1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Widget resizing ability differs between Orange and O2?? SOLVED

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Pedro_XXL, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Pedro_XXL

Pedro_XXL Lurker

Hi,
    Apologies if this is old hat, I manually searched last four pages of threads and the search tool offers nothing of help...

I got a brand new sg2 on Orange yesterday for personal use having been "looking after" an sg2 on O2 for work over the last few weeks.

On the O2 phone, I can freely resize widgets like AccuWeather from its default 2x1 to other sizes like 4x1, 2x2 or 4x2. To do this I "hold" it and place it and then a yellow frame appears - I grab the grey "corner" and it is easily resized.

On the Orange phone, I cannot resize it at all...the yellow frame NEVER appears, no matter what I do. This applies to other widgets like APMobile too.

So the Home Screen of the Orange SG2 is waay less useful than the Homescreen of the O2 SG2....that can't be right can it?
    Is there a setting somewhere that I need to tweak?

Thanks. :)

O2: I9100XXKDH Kernel 2.6.35.7-I9100XWKDD-CL161513 Android 2.3.3 GINGERBREAD.XWKDD
    Orange: I9100BVKG2 Kernel 2.6.35.7-I9100BVKG3-CL344296 Android 2.3.3 GINGERBREAD.BVKG3

Advertisement

2. Hawker

Hawker Android Expert

Is the o2 phone using go launcher and perhaps the orange one is on the stock touch wiz?

3. Pedro_XXL

Pedro_XXL Lurker

Thanks for the reply. I'm afraid I don't know how to tell which is which (or wiz).

The O2 phone has 7 panels of "Launcher"(1 - 7 where #1 is the true "Home") and it presents Applications in a horizontally paged array.

The Orange phone has only 5 panels of Launcher (1 - 5 where #3 is the true "Home" and it presents Applications in a single vertically smooth scrolling array.

I'm surprised and a little disappointed to find such "because-we-can" variation...it means it is not so easy to just get a Samsung Galaxy S2...they are not all the same.

I guess the providers control the configuration of the launcher...is it possible to change this...without rooting etc?

4. MJC UK

MJC UK Member

Install go launcher, and youll get all the widgety goodness you desire

5. Pedro_XXL

Pedro_XXL Lurker

SOLVED!
    Thanks for the advice but we have worked out what was happening...
    Orange offers a choice of homescreen...Orange-style and non-Orange style. The Orange-style one cannot re-size widgets. The other one can.
    So I now have exactly the solution I wanted. Yay!

6. pinkoholic

pinkoholic Lurker

Hi

I also have the phone on orange. Can you tell me how to change the homescreens to non orange style please?

7. Pedro_XXL

Pedro_XXL Lurker

No problem...
    You should have an Application called 'Homescreen selector' in your Applications. Run this and you can choose between the two.
    If you don't have that application, I don't know what to suggest. Good luck. :)

smeg4brainsuk and pinkoholic like this.
  8. pinkoholic

pinkoholic Lurker

Thanks, that has worked :)

9. matttye

matttye Android Expert

This is why I would recommend always buying phones from carphone warehouse or similar companies that sell unbranded handsets.

Orange and the other networks put their own bloatware on the phone when you buy a branded handset -- a lot of which cannot be deleted!

10. Dispie

Dispie Lurker

Thanks Pedro!
    Last two days I was trying to figure out how to change the size of Accu widget and finally found your posts.