1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

widgetlocker and active applications

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by shawn222, Sep 20, 2011.

1. shawn222

shawn222 Member
    None

Aug 24, 2011
    WidgetLocker is showing under active applications in my task manager which is really annoying me as I keep accidently exiting it. Does anybody know if there any way to hide it or prevent it from closing when I hit exit all?

Thanks,
    Shawn

Advertisement

2. RyanB

RyanB Guest
    None
    Not to sound snarky, but ditching your task manager is the best way to go. If you insist on using one, most have a way to "whitelist" spots that exempts them from getting closed out.

3. shawn222

shawn222 Member
    None

Aug 24, 2011
    No worries, you don't sound snarky, when googling how to do something about this I saw many articles about why not to get a task manager. Thing is, I don't have one, this is just the stock task manager that shows up when long pressing home and selecting task manager. I often use it to close applications that are inevitably running because I press home once instead of back 10 times.

On a side note, is there any way to go straight to that task manager when long pressing home, instead of to the recent apps first?

4. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    If he's using a Samsung, there's no way to "ditch" the task manager since its inbuilt into their Android version, but actually, I dont find the need to open the task manager unless I have to check how much memory is left in my internal/external SD card. You dont even have to open the task manager.

To the OP:
    There's actually a lot of info around the web that task managers on Android actually do more harm than good.

5. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    To get to the task manager on one press, put a shortcut on your homescreen from the app drawer.

6. shawn222

shawn222 Member
    None

Aug 24, 2011
    chanchan,

Judging from the time of your post, you may have been writing at the same time that I was so I'm sort of repeating myself here. I did see many articles saying not to get a task manager and that they just aren't necessary in Android. As you sort of guessed, I am on a Samsung phone, the SGS2, and there is a built in task manager which is the one I'm using. I do use it though because I often hit home instead of back repeatedly because it's easier and I end up with a long list of open applications which I close with 1 click from the built in task manager

7. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    whether or not you are using the stock task manager or a third party one, it still is harmful. I'd suggest either leave them be, since Android itself will close them correctly after a time of inactivity, or manually close the apps when you go out of them, so as to not get that long list.

shawn222 likes this.
  8. shawn222

shawn222 Member
    None

Aug 24, 2011
    Very interesting...

I had read that task killers do more good than bad, but my understanding was that this is because people use them to close things that need or want to be open and will just make more work for the phone later.

I have been using the built in one not to exit services but to simply exit things which just take too many clicks to get out of, like angry birds which just took me 6 clicks of the back button to exit.

What I didn't know and thank you for showing me is that Android will close these applications on its own. Also, because of this conversation, I took a look at the cpu usage of some apps which I had closed with just the home button and I saw that they were using 0%, something I didn't know.

Thanks!

9. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    Some apps that you close on task managers dont close properly, and still eat RAM, and may actually start up again but not show on the default task manager. Also when there is too much RAM being used up by apps held in standby (home button), Android itself will free up more RAM and just cache the apps. This cache will also deleted as more space is needed. You really dont need to open up the task manager, unless some app hanged up and you need to force close it.