• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Widgetlocker and Tasker

Hi all,

So what I wanted to achieve was to delay widgetlocker for a while after the display turns off. This is because the display turns off frequently while I'm distracted or in the middle of doing things, and it's a hassle to have to swipe every time to get back to what I was doing.
So I thought of putting a delay onto widgetlocker using tasker, but I have 2 questions:

1. Would disabling and enabling widgetlocker everytime the screen turns off drain the battery? I imagine starting and restarting an app would have some kind of effect.

2. My attempts so far haven't worked. I tried a simple one where:
Display Off -> Suspend Widgetlocker -> Tasker Wait 2 minutes -> Resume widgetlocker

I also tried it with Disable and Enable. Seems straightforward enough but neither worked!

Hi all,
1. Would disabling and enabling widgetlocker everytime the screen turns off drain the battery? I imagine starting and restarting an app would have some kind of effect.

No way to know until you try it. I doubt you'll see any major impact.

2. My attempts so far haven't worked. I tried a simple one where:
Display Off -> Suspend Widgetlocker -> Tasker Wait 2 minutes -> Resume widgetlocker

I also tried it with Disable and Enable. Seems straightforward enough but neither worked!

Could you be more specific? What part didn't work?

Note that, when you use a Wait command, it only queues the following actions. The "Resume" action will occur 2 minutes later, regardless of whether the context (Display Off) is still true.

You could also try:

Display off > Set Variable %WLSWITCH = 1, Wait 2 minutes, Set Variable %WLSWITCH =0

new profile

Variable Value (%WLSWITCH =1)
Enter Task > Disable WL
Exit Task > Enable WL

Reactions: spaceman-spiff
Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply!

Note that, when you use a Wait command, it only queues the following actions. The "Resume" action will occur 2 minutes later, regardless of whether the context (Display Off) is still true.

Ah, I think you may have it there. That might explain the strange behaviour I've been getting. It seems to enable or disable widgetlocker sometimes, and on others it doesn't. I couldn't figure out why.

Could you be more specific? What part didn't work?

Well when using suspend and resume, widgetlocker was resumed, but in tool mode. After that I tried enable/disable. It worked once, and then wouldn't work again.

You could also try:

Display off > Set Variable %WLSWITCH = 1, Wait 2 minutes, Set Variable %WLSWITCH =0

new profile

Variable Value (%WLSWITCH =1)
Enter Task > Disable WL
Exit Task > Enable WL

Ok I see what you did there. As someone new to tasker, and new to androids in general, this level of customization is pretty mind-boggling, but I can see the learning curve with tasker is pretty steep.

So basically when the display turns off, the variable wlswitch is set to 1, and after 2 minutes to 0.

When wlswitch is at 1, wl is disabled

But it still doesn't work! Tasker tells me I have no active profiles and wl is seemingly randomly disabled or enabled.

I added another profile:

Display On > Set Variable WLSWITCH to 0

But I still get the same result: random locking and unlocking :(

I'm thinking that tasker sets the value to 0 after the 2 minutes is up regardless of whether the display is on or off, and this is screwing with the system. I can't be the only person to try this with widgetlocker!

Upvote 0
First, check the WL settings. You may need to have it open in Lock Mode and not in Tool Mode. That is one thing.

Second, try changing it to this:

Display off > Set Variable %WLSWITCH = 1, Wait Until (%SCREEN matches off, in the time field put 2 minutes), Set Variable %WLSWITCH =0

Now, Tasker should wait until the screen is off before changing it back to 0. It will check every 2 minutes whether the screen is off, and then proceed only when it is off.

If that still doesn't work, could you post more specifics about exactly what happens (when you turned the screen on, then what happened, what you pressed, etc.)

Reactions: spaceman-spiff
Upvote 0
Ok so it still doesn't work. Here's what happens:

Widgetlocker was disabled, and did not turn on again despite waiting for longer than 2 minutes.
I checked widgetlockers settings, and "enable" was unchecked. So tasker had disabled it and failed to enable it again.

So I manually clicked on enable and then turned off the display - waited 30 seconds - turned it on again - and widgetlocker was on.

Turned off the display again - waited 30 seconds - widgetlocker on again

Turned off display - waited 30 seconds - widgetlocker on again

It actually worked better before, only it was counting 2 minutes regardless of whether the screen had been turned on or off in that time, so sometimes I'd wait 30 seconds, not find wl, turn if off again, wait 30 seconds and find it on. Then I'd turn it off, wait 30 seconds, turn it on again and wl would be off.

So the key is to get tasker to stop counting after the display has been turned on, and always have wlswitch set to 0 when the display is on. I'm surprised this isn't a native system to android or wl considering it's been on other phones for years now, including other samsung phones.

The difference is that this time tasker was telling me that there is 1 active profile.

I'll experiment with it and post some results.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones