• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

WidgetLocker - Awesome App imo

Your home-button capture method makes an error pop up every time I doubletap to enter Quickdesk. I realize this is largely his fault for not including a way to disable that message, but did you have any ideas how to fix this perhaps?

There's two ways to fix this, one is to use the 0.3.1 release of QuickDesk available at Donators' Repo

Upvote 0
WidgetLocker does nothing of the sort. Could it be the Sense setting added in 2.2 to delay the security lock? Try changing
System Settings > Security > Lock phone after
To Immediately to get the Android 2.1 behavior. (The delay will work fine with WidgetLocker too, just you'll have to wait the 3 minutes or whatever as expected).

Disable
WidgetLocker Settings > Buttons & Inputs > Allow Menu Button

Thanks for the help, it resolved my issues. I ended up disabling and then enabling lock code. For some reason it started showing me the regular lockscreen after widgetlockers lockscreen so I had to go disable that in the settings. All good now.

The only thing that seems a little odd is the brightness slider: it is changing the icon but the brightness doesn't seem to be changing... I have the Quicksettings app and androids stock power widget, could those be interfering?

Upvote 0
The only thing that seems a little odd is the brightness slider: it is changing the icon but the brightness doesn't seem to be changing... I have the Quicksettings app and androids stock power widget, could those be interfering?

What phone are you using? Android's power widget won't conflict (I use it myself). I wouldn't think that QuickSettings would interfere but I haven't specifically tested it. Also even Dim and Full aren't showing a change? Sometimes auto is the same as one of them so there is no noticeable difference, but Dim and Full should be quite visibly different.

Upvote 0
What phone are you using? Android's power widget won't conflict (I use it myself). I wouldn't think that QuickSettings would interfere but I haven't specifically tested it. Also even Dim and Full aren't showing a change? Sometimes auto is the same as one of them so there is no noticeable difference, but Dim and Full should be quite visibly different.

Droid X. The first time I slide it there is a very slight change. After that if I continue sliding it, there is no change whatsoever. I'll delete the quicksettings widget and see what happens.

Upvote 0
I was enjoying toying with this but have really fallen in love with popping open the keyboard on my Epic (bypasses the lockscreen) which I couldn't figure out/find the setting to have this do the same thing (bypass widgetlock if I flip open the keyboard: this app appearance is portrait and its a bit odd if I've flipped the phone sideways to open the kybd).

Will re-purchase if I just missed it. :)

Upvote 0
I have been using widget locker for a while now, here are some of my favorite things I like about WidgetLocker:

1. Ability to set Custom Wallpaper different from the one used on LauncherPro Plus or other Launchers

2. Ability to remove all sliders! (I hate sliders)

3. Ability to make sure all other buttons don't unlock it (especially the Volume button)

4. ability to use Track Ball to unlock (set back button to 5 second delay to not accidently unlock via this method)

5. Ability to set the following 3 widgets on the Lock Screen:

a. Launch-X Pro Widget (shortcuts: direct dial to wife mobile & work, direct message to wife; shortcut to default camera, Google Talk and handyCalc)

b. Clock Droid Pro

c. BatStat Battery Widget

(Also I tested the Pandora widget on WidgetLocker and it works great)

Upvote 0
Absolutely love the app but it brought my droid to a crawl a lot of times and that drove me nuts. Ended up uninstalling after 12 hours or so.

Everyone is free to their opinions, but this information doesn't make sense and doesn't tell me anything about a possible problem. WidgetLocker isn't continuously executing code, it's waiting for events (like screen off). So if you're using some app and it's running slowly, it's incredibly unlikely to be caused by WidgetLocker. On the other hand if you have a specific problem (Launcher reloading for some people is for example is something I'm working on) I might actually be able to do something about it.

Upvote 0
Everyone is free to their opinions, but this information doesn't make sense and doesn't tell me anything about a possible problem. WidgetLocker isn't continuously executing code, it's waiting for events (like screen off). So if you're using some app and it's running slowly, it's incredibly unlikely to be caused by WidgetLocker. On the other hand if you have a specific problem (Launcher reloading for some people is for example is something I'm working on) I might actually be able to do something about it.

Yikes guy, I wasn't disparaging the application, nor speaking to you directly, just stating that my Droid isn't fast enough to handle it. It's the same Launcher problem you're working on.

Upvote 0
Yikes guy, I wasn't disparaging the application, nor speaking to you directly, just stating that my Droid isn't fast enough to handle it. It's the same Launcher problem you're working on.

Sorry, didn't mean to come off as defensive. I just like to understand what problems people are having.

The Launcher problem is isn't really about speed of the phone, but more an issue with how Android handles memory and the special treatment the Launcher normally receives. When using the WidgetLocker Home Helper, Android doesn't give the system Launcher any special treatment to stay in memory. For some users this isn't a problem as their use pattern still causes Launcher to stick around. But for some people it is a problem. I'm working on replacing the functionality of the Home Helper with alternative methods so I can make it more optional for people having problems with Launcher reloads.

Upvote 0
Yikes guy, I wasn't disparaging the application, nor speaking to you directly, just stating that my Droid isn't fast enough to handle it.

what he meant is that your phone doesn't have to be fast to "handle it" because its only ever running anything when your phone is sleeping. I run it on an eris, of all things and its faster than the stock unlocker.

kevin@teslacoilsw said:
launcher reloads

Does this have to do with my stock unlocker sometimes reappearing mysteriously? (unlocking the phone then brings back WL)

Upvote 0
Does this have to do with my stock unlocker sometimes reappearing mysteriously? (unlocking the phone then brings back WL)

Actually possibly the opposite. Is the time you see it when you press the Home button, then power the screen off, then power it back on? If so then this is the 5 second rule that prevents WidgetLocker from activating right away. It can be bypassed if you set WLocker Home Helper as your default home, however that might cause your Launcher to refresh. Though I think Sense on 2.1 is pretty aggressive about staying in memory so it might not be an issue for you.

Upvote 0
Actually possibly the opposite. Is the time you see it when you press the Home button, then power the screen off, then power it back on? If so then this is the 5 second rule that prevents WidgetLocker from activating right away. It can be bypassed if you set WLocker Home Helper as your default home, however that might cause your Launcher to refresh. Though I think Sense on 2.1 is pretty aggressive about staying in memory so it might not be an issue for you.

I believe its set as default, and I'm not running a sense UI at the moment. (xtrROM)

Sometimes when I hit end, my WL screen will come up with the default lockscreen OVER it. I then have to unlock twice. only happens once every few days.

Upvote 0
I have been using widget locker for a while now, here are some of my favorite things I like about WidgetLocker:

1. Ability to set Custom Wallpaper different from the one used on LauncherPro Plus or other Launchers

3. Ability to make sure all other buttons don't unlock it (especially the Volume button)

4. ability to use Track Ball to unlock (set back button to 5 second delay to not accidently unlock via this method)

5. Ability to set any widgets I want on the Lock Screen:

Screenshot of WidgetLocker on my phone (my latest WidgetLocker is very minimalistic with a static image and Clock Droid Pro):

mdZ9

Upvote 0
I really like this application so far, but I'm having one issue related to its interaction with another app. I use Juice Defender so that my data is shut off when the phone is locked, but this does not happen when using widget locker. I don't know if it's a conflict on the end of widget locker or if juice defender just reads the phone as never locking, but i'm curious if anyone has had this issue and if there's a way around it through the settings or anything on either app.

Upvote 0
Hi

I've not been a long time user of this app, so I need help. I'm using HTC Desire

I kinda thought that if I pattern lock ON it and had settings in widget locker to DON'T ALLOW INTERACTIONS, it would be possible to have certain other programs available to use on created sliders.

Basically I'm nearly there.

My phone is secure and I have a widget showing my appointments via Gemini Calendar widget. It is inactive. My created slider is a calculator. When I set it up it just does not allow access because PATTERN LOCK intervenes.

Do I need to change settings, is it possible?

Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0
I have been using this app for about 2 weeks now. Initially when I installed it, I had trouble with lag but since applying the lagfix it runs much smoother.

I really like having quick access to camera for those must snap moments.
I have a flash light and direct access to the phone app.
I have a widget for Vlingo so I can command my phone whilst driving and I like being able to pull down the notification bar.

Only slight problem I have encountered is that when I go straight to an app, phone for instance and I fail to click a key fast enough the screen times out and the screen is locked again. Little grumble, nothing at all major.

Upvote 0

5. Ability to set the following 3 widgets on the Lock Screen:

a. Launch-X Pro Widget (shortcuts: direct dial to wife mobile & work, direct message to wife; shortcut to default camera, Google Talk and handyCalc)

b. Clock Droid Pro

c. BatStat Battery Widget

Screenshot of WidgetLocker on my phone (my latest WidgetLocker is very minimalistic with a static image and Clock Droid Pro):

mdZ9
I found this App too unstable and I finally removed it.

The default Lock Screen kept coming up anyway so I went back to default.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones