• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Widgets just poof.......disappeared!

chrome86

Jan 19, 2011
All of a sudden my home page, digital clock and google search bar widgets disappeared. I long-pressed to try and get to the widgets menu and nothing appeared. I restarted my phone and still no luck. Tried to do a restore to a previous backup. Still nothing.

So eventually I did a complete reset: settings->privacy->factory reset. Lost everything!

a) I'm on 2.1 Eclair on the X10 mini. What the hell happened?

b) How do I move my apps and widgets to SD card?

c) Is it worth rooting?

Only had the damn phone one week !

I guess the main reasons i'd like to root are twofold. 1) I can apps2sd. 2) The possibility of ROM-ming to 2.2 Froyo......to move the apps to SD.

Still, i'm surprised I had to completely wipe my phone and do a factory reset just to bring my home screen/clock back! Really bad start with the Android (as opposed to Apple) avenue.

Upvote 0
a) You might accidentally hit Manage Apps then your homescreen app and choose clear the data :)
b) Widgets won't work if you move them to SD card. You can move your apps(which don't have widgets or the ones you don't use their widgets) by an app called app2sd. But I am pretty sure that you have to have 2.2 or higher(Most update is 2.2.1).
c) Depends on what you want to do. Some apps need your phone to be rooted. For example, Titanium Backup.

And I don't think you have to root your phone in order to upgrade to 2.2...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones