• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Wife and I are returning our Incredibles...

Status
Not open for further replies.
As i saw on another board someone had his droid and inc the droid had full bars and the inc had 2. but the db was the same...mine seems week also but the call quality is great..... I have had my phone on for 24 hours now 1.5 hours straight and the rest normal use. and right now iam just playing music to discharge it so i can have it ready for tonight :D ...loving it

Upvote 0
1. Battery life. While disabling a couple of apps that were fetching my Yahoo mail (I am testing various methods to find the best solution) the battery life is still very very underwhelming. I do see difference in battery drain since I shutdown some apps, but I turned on last night around midnite, played for about 20 minutes, and went to bed. It is 5pm and I have the 9% warning already.
Agreed. Battery life is pretty abysmal. The new iPhone will have much better battery life. The Incredible has even worse battery life than some other Android phones while the iPhone is getting better over time.

2. Lack of Yahoo support. I understand the phone is made by Google. But c'mon...the Yahoo support is terrible. If just one thing worked nicely I wouldn't complain that much. But email is terrible....my sent mails don't sync to Yahoo.com. K-9 doesn't offer Push at all on the Incredible. It says it does, however it doesn't work. ROID is a waste of time and money, and probably contributes to the poor battery life. If Yahoo made an app for the Droid Inc, it would make life soooo much better.
Agreed. Its probably some sort of a political game between Yahoo and Google. I don't understand why Google or HTC doesn't build in good support for Yahoo somehow.
Folks are saying it works as well as gmail. I've never seen it. You can connect to Gmail using IMAP, but have to use POP for Yahoo if you use WiFi. IMAP is much better.
This is the biggest issue for me right now. I havent figured out how to get Yahoo working well enough.

3. 3G service. I know the VZW signal is amazing in my home iwth every other phone I had...but my Inc only holds 1 or 2 bars. If that.
I haven't noticed any problems with reception on the Incredible. Bars don't mean anything. Either put the phone in debug mode or look in Settings, About phone, Network. Compare that to other phones. I am VERY happy with Verizon coverage. AT&T is the worst. AT&T has no 3G outside of major cities and even where it says they do... they don't. In the 2yrs I've had them, zero improvement.

Upvote 0
-82dB.. that's bad right?
Actually, at -82dB you should be able to do pretty much anything you want to. That's not a bad signal at all. On the past few phones I've had, I don't get nervous til the signal drops under -90dB... and it should be perfectly usable at that point. To give a comparison: if you're really close, like measured in feet, to a tower ("full signal")... you're still only looking at about -60dB.

Upvote 0
Yahoo doesn't allow connection using IMAP over Wifi.
Not to open a can of worms, but... I'm not sure I understand this. And I should, because I own a website/email hosting company serving over 2500 clients.

A mailserver either supports IMAP or it doesn't. It doesn't matter whether you're connecting via 3G, 1X, DSL, cable, or 56K dialup. The server has no idea of how you're connecting. As far as it's concerned... you're connected.

Just want to catch this misinformation (given in good faith I'm sure) before someone takes it as fact.
IMAP is much better than POP.
Now you won't get any argument from me on this. There is no advantage to using POP anymore. If you have a choice between IMAP and POP, always go the IMAP route. I've got a post somewhere explaining the differences, which I won't bore you with here.

And btw: Yahoo's mail is archaic at best. Believe me, I would never recommend them when there are far better solutions out there. I'm not defending them at all. Of course, since I own the mailserver, I don't have to use any of the free ones. :D

Upvote 0
A mailserver either supports IMAP or it doesn't. It doesn't matter whether you're connecting via 3G, 1X, DSL, cable, or 56K dialup. The server has no idea of how you're connecting. As far as it's concerned... you're connected.

I don't know whose fault this is, but the HTC mail program doesn't work with yahoo's imap server when wifi is on.

Upvote 0
I don't understand some people. Why post on an Android biased forum and then say things that are completely not true and expect us to agree with you? Your reasons for not wanting to keep it are terrible. Send it back so someone else can have the best phone and service on the market and while your at it go back to the crappy BB OS.

Upvote 0
I have no issues with my yahoo mail. Why not check out google mail and calendar. I find it superior to yahoo's offerings. My entire family's calendars are linked together and we can always see what everyone is doing.

As for battery life, yes it is shorter than my Storm, but it still lasts through the whole day without issue. The 2150 mAh battery will be here soon enough to address this issue.

Hope your luck is better with whatever phone you decide to take.

I was going to say the same thing....Google mail, picasa, and all the free services that are offered by google far outway anything on yoohoo mail..

Upvote 0
We are on the VZW family plan. I am out of contract and my wife's line is out of contract on the 3rd of July. We were both ready to move on from our Blackberries and excited to get the Incredible.

Since we received them on the 27th, we both like the phone and are impressed with how it works and how fast it is, etc...but the cons are outweighing the pros at this point.

We both use Yahoo. We previously enjoyed instant email delivery with 2-way read/unread sync, sent items 1-way sync, and full PIM sync thru the Blackberry desktop manager. After 2 years of abuse I was getting about 2 days of use out of my Blackberry.

Sadly...Yahoo integrations sucks with the Incredible. Even if I can live with delayed email delivery, there is still no way to sync the rest of my PIM data.

There are 3 negatives that I can see about this phone, and unfortunately they are outweighing the many positives.

1. Battery life. While disabling a couple of apps that were fetching my Yahoo mail (I am testing various methods to find the best solution) the battery life is still very very underwhelming. I do see difference in battery drain since I shutdown some apps, but I turned on last night around midnite, played for about 20 minutes, and went to bed. It is 5pm and I have the 9% warning already.

2. Lack of Yahoo support. I understand the phone is made by Google. But c'mon...the Yahoo support is terrible. If just one thing worked nicely I wouldn't complain that much. But email is terrible....my sent mails don't sync to Yahoo.com. K-9 doesn't offer Push at all on the Incredible. It says it does, however it doesn't work. ROID is a waste of time and money, and probably contributes to the poor battery life. If Yahoo made an app for the Droid Inc, it would make life soooo much better.

3. 3G service. I know the VZW signal is amazing in my home iwth every other phone I had...but my Inc only holds 1 or 2 bars. If that.

In summation, I really like this phone...I think the screen is amazing, the touch works very close if not equal to the iPhone, I love the apps. But I can't deal with the negatives I posted above.

So we are planning on returning our new Droid Incredibles and waiting for the new iPhone in June and switching to AT&T.

i just feel that the Android OS overall is still in it's infancy...and I just don't have the patience to watch it grow up.

Little set in our ways, are we? Change can be good if you embrace it.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones