1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Wife is getting my Droid

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by stmartin84, Jan 13, 2011.

1. stmartin84

stmartin84 Well-Known Member

OK, first off hey everyone. I've been relying on all you great guru's for all my droid questions and now I have a new one for you. Currently I'm enjoying the UD roms. They work for me with everything I want from a ROM, however now I have a new dilemma.

My wife has never owned a smart phone, she's actually slowly getting used to my droid. She is NOT a geek or a computer savvy person by any means. She knows the basics and that's about it. She wants my droid so I was going to unroot it for her and turn it back to stock, however I wanted to check and see what you guys think? Is there a real simple ROM out there that will allow for simple, generic seamless use? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks all!

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. PatHoge

PatHoge Well-Known Member

Judging by what you've said about her, I doubt she needs any of the fancy features of UD for example, so just giving her the stock rooted phone without a custom ROM would probably work just fine. (That is, unless she wants a pink theme or something, haha)

stmartin84 likes this.
  3. teddyearp

teddyearp Android Expert

Although I am not a big fan of UD roms, why revert it back to stock for her? I remember a couple of weeks over a year ago when I first learned what owning an Android phone was about. The first week was all about "Whoa, I gotta lot to learn!" and the second week was "Whoa, now let's see what I can do". By the fourth week root was found, but that's another story, suffice to say I was there.

So, just give it to her and let her learn.

good luck

4. stmartin84

Point taken, people learn to adapt with any sort of change. That's human nature. However, in my case, my wife is perfectly happy with using something that works and not want to see "what else it does". I however, push the envelope. Thanks for the input!!

5. Papadroid

Papadroid Android Expert

I would leave it rooted because the ROMs available outperform the stock ROM. The basic functionality is the same across the board with the exception of MIUI.

6. coolbonzai

coolbonzai Lurker

You can try Sapphire 2.0. It's a very stable rom that I have been enjoying for a few weeks now (upgraded from Sapphire 1.0). For the most part it looks and acts as stock and that's what you are looking for. There are themes and other customization options available if you mess around with the GEM settings. But if even that's too much you can run it smoothly with just downloading the rom and the GAPPS package. Hope this helps.

http://androidforums.com/droid-roms/246863-rom-sapphire-2-0-0-ccroms.html
    Bring Out Your Dead.... We're Not Dead Yet - Sapphire 2.0 Release! - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum

7. CyberPitz

CyberPitz Android Enthusiast

CyanogenMod is relatively simple and stable. Just toss it on, give her 1ghz and let her run free. She won't have slow downs, it will be fast and stable and you don't have to worry!

Or, if she's getting used to what you have now, just leave it how it is and give it to her.

8. stmartin84

All the advice is greatly appreciated. I'm going to survey a few more ROMs and then choose. I want something simple, alot like stock, semi fast, but stable. I don't want to give her a reason to hate the droid and want to move to an iPhone.

9. stmartin84

As a follow-up question, does anyone know how I can change my gmail to her gmail on my phone without having to whip and reinstall a ROM?

10. skilaufen

skilaufen Android Enthusiast

If you want something simply that is fast and stock-like look at Bugless Beast by Peter Alfonso. His ROMs are all based on a stock look and feel but are very fast and stable.

If she were to ever get bored then she could start trying out fancier ROMs

stmartin84 likes this.
  11. Rodeojones

Rodeojones Android Enthusiast

Go to Settings > Accounts & Sync and from there you'll be able to delete your Gmail account and add her account. Should be as simple as that.

As far as your initial question, since you're already a fan of UD, why not just leave the stock 2.5 ROM on there with the stock kernel. While she probably won't care about the options in UD Settings, it's a fabulous ROM. And the stock 800Mhz kernel is great. Faster than stock but she won't have to worry about poor battery life or high CPU temps (and, in my opinion, the stock kernel runs as fast and smooth as 1.2Ghz kernels I've used in the past).

stmartin84 likes this.

Motorola Droid Forum

The Motorola Droid release date was November 2009. Features and Specs include a 3.7" inch screen, 5MP camera, 256GB RAM, processor, and 1400mAh battery.

November 2009
Release Date
Reviews