1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Wife wants a GN3. Are the bugs from the original resolved?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by phredog, Jan 6, 2014.

1. phredog

phredog Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 16, 2012
    Software developer
    Singapore
    My experience with the first generation, early rev, GN1 was not very good. It was a waste of money, and Samsung refused to support it out of region.

I switched to an iPhone as my primary. I bought a Samsung S2 duos as my secondary. Both phones work reliably.

I recently loaded Jellybean on my old GN1 and gave it to the in-laws as a mini tablet. To this day when using a stylus, it still inks 3cm above the screen, and among other problems it still looses it's marbles and must be hard reset to recover. Oh and of course using Bluetooth headset proved to be a nightmare before voice talk was neutered.

Honestly, have these problem been resolved? Before you say it, I know two other GN1 owners with the same problems. I have read about many others.

Advertisement

2. ahjengmool

ahjengmool Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 7, 2012
    the problems you mentioned, i have not experianced nor have seen written up in this forum. but there will always be some problems as its an imperfect world

3. dustwun77

dustwun77 Endeavor to Persevere :)
    None

Feb 24, 2010
    Male
    ET
    SC
    I never had the note 1, don't know about it.

I had problems with call quality. Traded in a couple of phones over it. Finally turned out that it was fixed by a software update.

The good thing here is that i did have the option to replace or return the phone for a period of time after I first bought it. If you have the same option there, perhaps that would give you time to evaluate for yourself if it is better now?

I haven't had any of the problems you describe on mine. My wife absolutely loves her's. :)

4. NeoGrandizer

NeoGrandizer Android Expert
    None

Mar 9, 2012
    I have to admit that the Note 2 and 3 are considerable improvements over the original Note. I upgraded to the Note 2, but will pass on the Note 3 (going from 2 to 3 is not a huge improvement to me).

I found the S Pen and interactions have improved significantly over the original Note. The only real problem I currently have is the new 4.3 OS. I don't like it as much as 4.1.2.

The Note 3 definitely gives a much more better experience than the original Note. The original Note was plagued with issues (which was expected being the first in its class), but Samsung did clean it up quite a bit. It is definitely much more better than before.

5. ScandaLeX

ScandaLeX Wasn't Me
    None

May 4, 2010
    Female
    PhiLLy
    I never owned the Galaxy Note 1- was not willing to switch carriers for it. The Note 2 I had since launch day & it performed without a hiccup. The Note 3 I just got so I cannot weigh in on anything other than to say I think it's a pretty decent phone.
    From everything I've read it's a HUGE step up from the Note 1.

6. Sasha2013

Sasha2013 Newbie
    None

Nov 8, 2013
    I didn't have the Note 1, so I can't comment on that. I can say, my phone has been bug free from day one. I've had it for 2 months and I love it more, every day.

7. Rukbat

Rukbat Android Expert
    None

Jan 16, 2012
    Male
    Being retired and writing Tasker tasks.
    Fayetteville, NC, USA
    My only problem with the N3 was a battery dying during OTA (and someone writing a terrible OTA, because it soft-bricked the phone).

What I don't like about it is the "security". They lock it down as if looking at too hard will damage it, but the security software they package it with has a security hole.

But it's fast, it has a lot of storage, it does everything it's supposed to and, if you don't mind Knox, there's no problem. It IS large, and it IS expensive, but with my eyes I need a large screen, so I'm willing to pay for it.

8. phredog

phredog Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 16, 2012
    Software developer
    Singapore
    Thank you all for the feedback.

The GN1 has hung twice on my sister-in-law just recently. It usually does so when the charge is plugged or unplugged.

I asked about this problem other places. It turns out that a lot of people experienced the same issues that I did.

I had bought my GN1 in Germany, and used it in Singapore. Samsung refused to support it unless I had an address and phone number in Germany.

Samsung Galaxy Note 3

The Samsung Galaxy Note 3 launched in 2012 and was the company's flagship phablet. The device featured a 5.7-inch display with a 1920 x 1080 resolution, 3GB of RAM, 32GB of storage, and a 13MP main camera.