• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help WiFi & 4G Simultaneously

WholeFnShow

Mar 19, 2011
I just got this phone yesterday (On Verizon) and am noticing that the 4G logo remains on the notifications bar even when I am on WiFi. Coming from a Galaxy S3, this is something I am not accustomed to seeing as when that phone was connected to a WiFi network, the 4G logo would disappear.

From what I have learned through searching around, some are saying this is just how it is with this phone, while others aren't sure. It appears to me that 4G is still being used even while I am on WiFi because I see the arrows underneath the logo light up from time to time. Or I might just be paranoid.

I did however experience a pretty rapid battery drain after my first initial charge, which might be normal, but I am not sure. Any clarification on this would be appreciated. Thank you!

I see the same thing you do WholeFnShow:)
When connected to wifi, the 4G LTE icon is still there.
I really didn't pay any attention to the arrows or whatever under the 4g icon, but I think when connected to wifi, that 4g icon just stays there :dontknow:

I don't think there is anything to worry about data being used whilst on wifi.

Just my 2 cents ;)

Let's see what others think too:)

Edit: just a screeny of mine on wifi: (upper right)
Screenshot_2014-09-23-18-52-06.png

Upvote 0
I as well used to be on Samsung and I don't like that when on WiFi with this LG g3 that the 4G doesn't go away nor stop using data. I manually turn the 4g off when on WiFi because I noticed a huge spike in my data being used last month which was the first full month with it. No I keep it off all the time when on WiFi. Well see if it works for me on keeping the data usage down.

Upvote 0
I really don't think there is anything to worry about. I am primarily a Samsung user but I do also have the G3 so I know what you are all talking about. Just because the Samsung phones don't show the 4G up there when it's on wifi does not mean it's not connected to a 4G capable tower. You can verify this by just pulling up the "About" information in the phone while connected to wifi and you will see what service you are connected to (LTE, HSPA+, etc.) despite there being no 4G symbol up on top. There are certain services that can only be delivered by your data plan as well - such as MMS messages. MMS messages do not go over wifi.

Anyway, I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm pretty sure that the symbol up there doesn't mean it's constantly using up your data plan. It's just to show what cellular connection you have. I assure you that on my Samsung phones - despite there being no symbol up there when I'm on wifi - indeed it's still connected to my data plan - be it LTE, HSPA+, etc.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones