• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Wifi Ad-Hoc Tethering Issues in A3.0/A3.5

I'm sure some of you may have encountered this problem before; however I was wondering if anyone is aware of any reliable fixes for this issue.

Whenever I try to use the WiFi tethering function on my phone so the Touchpad can share my data connection, it works fine in CM7 A2.1. However if I upgrade to A3.0 or A3.5, while the TP can see my connection, whenever I select connect nothing happens, it will just show "remember" underneath the SSID and do nothing. I've tried numerous things to try and work around this problem however nothing will take care of it; the only possible fix I've seen mentioned is unreliable and creates other problems (installing the wpa suplicant files from A2.1 on top of A3.5).

My question is if anyone else is experiencing this problem, and if so, have they found some way to work around this issue? I find it odd that something which worked fine in an older build of the alpha suddenly ceases to function in the newer, less buggy, builds. My phone is not capable of anything but an Ad-Hoc connection so suggestions of using some other method are not an option. Thanks in advance.

I have the same problem with both CM7 and Webos for the teathering. I use VM with wireless tether but when I tell it to connect in cm7 it just keeps (the lock) circling and circling)

My adhoc does not even show in web OS at all even though I I use a laptop it works fine , Im sure someone will have a fix for this , just when?

Upvote 0
For those of you unfortunate enough to also be experiencing this issue, I found a fix that may also work for you as it did for me. Go to the market and download "ZT 180 Ad Hoc Tethering Switch" after installing it on the TP make sure your wifi is on, all networks forgotten, and run the program. Make sure your SSID is "AndroidTether" on your phone and switch it on, then select to connect via ad hoc tethering in the app and it should work.

Upvote 0
For those of you unfortunate enough to also be experiencing this issue, I found a fix that may also work for you as it did for me. Go to the market and download "ZT 180 Ad Hoc Tethering Switch" after installing it on the TP make sure your wifi is on, all networks forgotten, and run the program. Make sure your SSID is "AndroidTether" on your phone and switch it on, then select to connect via ad hoc tethering in the app and it should work.

MANY THANKS! This worked for me as well. I now have my HP Touchpad with Android (CM7 Alpha 3.5) WiFi tethering to my OG Droid (CM7) running OpenGarden in Ad-Hoc mode.

I honestly never thought I would get this to work, at least not with OG Droid.

Note that you really do have to forget all existing wireless connections or it won't work. I used FXR WiFi Fixer from the Market to do that quickly and easily, but of course I still have to recreate my usual WiFi connections.

Upvote 0
No problem! This method actually works in CM9 as well; however it doesn't work as flawlessly; although I noticed after having had it installed once, even if you uninstall the program it will still attempt to auto-connect to "AndroidTether" every time you you turn on WiFi and give you a steady connection. Give it a shot if you are having issues getting adhoc tether to work on your TP.

Upvote 0
I instaled ZT-180 on cm9 alpha 0.6...when i open it...the screen is just black and after a few minutes says. ZT-180 Adhoc Switcher is not responding. Would you like to Wait...Report...OK. Thats all it does.. Any ideas how to get this work? Also, once it does work and I open the program. What do I click next?

Nevermind, the FXR Wifi Fixer did the trick. I just had to run it first. Thanks guys!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones