1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Wifi and 3G issues

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by JonathanPyke, May 7, 2012.

1. JonathanPyke

JonathanPyke Lurker
    None

May 7, 2012
    I'm fast developing a love/hate relationship with my Galaxy note. I've finally switched over from a geriatric iPhone 3G and generally very happy except for using wifi.

I can connect to my home network, but the majority of networks result in identifying and connecting to the wifi - but it constantly searches for the ip address and says 'wifi disabled'.

I've found one workaround, but it's not perfect. This is to manually enter the IP Address, Gateway, DNS settings etc but to add 1 to the last number in the IP address and switch on static IP. But it doesnt store those details in relation to this uses that setting for every wifi network and there's no way of getting hold of the details in public or hotel wifi networks etc without carrying my iphone around to find wifi network details then loading them into the Note.

Other things I've tried
    Flight mode on/off
    factory reset
    Toggling wifi sleep policy
    Using Opera instead of the proprietary software
    Swearing at it

None of these have worked, meanwhile the old 3G still connects perfectly to every wifi network I've asked it to. Some googling suggets this isn't an uncommon problem, but it seems a pretty serious drawback to android. Any suggestions?

Advertisement

2. msquarey

msquarey Lurker
    None

May 8, 2012
    I'm having the same issue only it's at my home base. It's constantly looking for the ip. I've tried entering it but I may have placed things in the wrong areas (having the ipv4, the subnet, and the router).

I'm going to try another wifi later today and see if it connects.
    I hope it does as I just got the Note last night and I'd like to start using it the way it was ment to be used. I choose it over the Iphone4s so fingers crossed I'll love this phone and not have to return it.

3. Bodestone

Bodestone Android Enthusiast

Jan 17, 2012
    Strange, I've never had any issues connecting to any normal WiFi networks at all.

The only time I have an issue is with some of them that use a forced landing page and once in a while the browser doesn't re-direct to it and so no joy.

4. yegon

yegon Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 29, 2011
    I've not had similar issues, although it does report very weak wifi signal strength no matter what network I connect too. All my other devices report strong signal in the same conditions.

5. droidcentric

droidcentric Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 30, 2012
    No signal weakness for me except possibly with one router i tried to get into similar to what Bodestone mentioned. I don't know what type of router it was but it would connect the first time no problem. After that all future attempts it would hang while trying to get an IP while signal would fade in and out. With my Moto (U-Verse) and many open connections i've used around town there has never been an issue.

6. GiggityGiggity

GiggityGiggity Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 3, 2011
    Male
    Professional Waste Of Space
    NW London, UK
    Mine is the same as you describe. Shows as a very weak signal whereas my iPad shows a strong one connected to the same network.

JonathanPyke the only advice I could give you is to perform a factory reset and start again with it. If it still behaves the same way I'd get it replaced.