• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Wifi and Bluetooth Issues with AT&T One X

I just purchased a AT&T One X a few days ago. The first phone had bad Bluetooth issues. The range was very poor and it kept disconnecting from my headset. Also, the WiFi was just not very good (detailed below) The guys at AT&T were awesome and immediately replaced the phone. The 2nd phone has Bluetooth that's inferior to my iPhone 4S in regards to sound clarity, but it's good enough and has not dropped the Bluetooth connection.

However, the WiFi is horrible. The speeds are very poor compared to an iPhone, iPad and Droid Razr Maxx. In addition, I lose network connectivity easily and can cause significant signal degradation by tightly cupping the phone along the bottom of the phone (similar to the death grip on the iPhone 4)

I find it hard to believe that I had 2 defective phones, but has anyone else had similar experiences ?

*** Update ****
I do have the 1.85.502.3 update, which is supposed to help with WiFi connectivity and throughput so I'm at a loss. I don't want to replace another phone if this is a more widespread issue. If that's the case, I'll have to return the phone because I can't have my WiFi crapping out on me. This would be unfortunate as I'm loving the One X otherwise.

**** Update 2 ****
OK, I can easily reproduce this issue if I even loosely hold the phone. If I lay the phone flat on a surface, I get great Wifi throughput. If I loosely hold the phone, I can cause the Wifi to drop out.

Here's a link to a blog post of someone with the same issue:

http://www.att-phones.org/htc-one-x-comes-with-death-grip-wi-fi-connection-issues.html

Here's a link to a YouTube video of the same issue:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFZsScXeONc&feature=relmfu

I don't have many posts so I hope you'll be able to see the links.

At this point, I'm not too optimistic that another One X will solve the issue as I'm 0 - 2 so far. I realize that the phone is defective, but my guess that AT&T will only give me one more exchange so I'm not sure if I want to take my chances with another One X, or wait for the S3 to be released

**** Update 3****

Just want to clarify one thing, the death grip is achieved by gripping the left side of the phone, not the bottom. If I were right handed, I wouldn't have noticed the issue !

I thought that I had read that the "death grip reduced wifi signal" was being seen on the International model not the AT&T branded version - In any event I hope you get your issue resolved (I am not having the issue with my AT&T 1X)

Funnily enough, on the International version it's the opposite case. Pressing on the screen by the camera lens (I think that's the location) increases WiFi connectivity (due to a hardware issue) HTC has acknowledged this issue and is doing repairs on the affected devices

I'm also noticing that the bluetooth strength is poor, as compared to the iPhone 4S, so I'm not sure if there's a correlation between the weak bluetooth and weak WiFi.

I'm glad to hear that your not having any issues ! This gives me some confidence that if I try out a 3rd One X, I'll get a reliable one.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones